My Fellow Americans...It is time for term limits and age limits in the House, the Senate, and the White House

term limits, age limits, intelligence requirements…

if they can get their name on the ballot, good for them

if there enough voters to support them, that’s democracy

1 Like

We don’t need more laws and government intervention to end government corruption. That’s our job at the ballot box.

1 Like

Yep. Unless the citizens can manage to get a Constitutional Amendment ratified without involving Congress, there will never be term limits on Congress whether they are corrupt or not. Discussions like this are really nothing more than chest thumping bitch sessions.

I don’t disagree guys…

But until we the people start having a bunch of chest thumping bitch sessions and doing so loudly and proudly …

Nothing will change.

Imho our House and Senate is loaded up with corrupt bastards like Joe Biden who live their lives to feather their own nests at our expense.

But those corrupt bastards still supposedly work for us.

1 Like

Don’t forget the “too old to serve” portion of your bitch session.

By all reports, Feinstein is absolutely unfit to sit in the Senate. Strom Thurmond was another.

The key words there … the bottom line, if you prefer … are “nothing will change.” It is an almost universal characteristic that the people think all the Congressmen are corrupt and useless … except for the ones representing them. In other words, we vote our guy in over and over while complaining about the rest of them.

I have been listening to this term limit thing for at least 60 years. There is no indication or reason to believe that it will ever happen.

1 Like

You’re probably right Samm you usually are….

And of course I know nothing we say here will change anything….

I just know that the disgusting left has caused so many things to happen in America that we never thought would happen…

Why not push for term limits?

We get the government we deserve and allow to happen. Good lord look at the destruction one senile corrupt old man is causing…

I just don’t see anything improving until we stop just sending the same people to the House and Senate over and over again.

Completely agree, six years is too long.

The voters have elected dead people. :man_shrugging:

The average American voter is dumber than a box of rocks. And 50% of them are dumber than that.

And yes, the dumbasses are spread out about evenly between the two parties.

That is kind of why we have had President Trump and President Biden.

3 Likes

That one we should regulate, yeah. Reason - dead people can’t show up to vote.

I may be slightly more optimistic but like Thomas Jefferson said “The government you elect is the government you deserve” i.e. if the average American voter is stupid, then why shouldn’t our government suck ? :wink:

2 Likes

Term limits should absolutely be started on these career politicians.
My local radio news man once said we would be better served by going through the phonebook and pick names to serve a term in congress than the jokers we have now. A politician should never go to washinton and then leave richer than they were before serving.

He’s still in his first term. He would be there even if the President was limited to one term.

That does not require term limits to fix. As I said before, the problem is the people who seem to think their guy is doing a good job when in everyone else’s view they are inept and/or corrupt.

Yep, everyone is in agreement … they all suck except my guy. :wink:

2 Likes

I vote Dem (not that it does any good), but if this thing looked like it had a shot-and my guy was against it-I’d vote for the other guy.

What makes you think the other guy will be for it once he gets in?

What make you think that if he gets elected and does stand by his promise that 2/3 of the rest of the House will go along with him?

The chance that 2/3 of the House will agree what the term limit should be, let alone to vote “yea” on a final proposed term limit Amendment are slim to none. And then, of course there is the required ratification by 3/4 of the States … Y’all are fooling yourselves if you think that term limits are anything other than a topic for discussion in Internet chat rooms.

But of course, I could be wrong. :wink:

1 Like

Well yeah dude, there’s no guarantees, but implicit in my post is some national enthusiasm for the thing. That exerts a pressure all its own.

But as you say, it’s nothing more than forum fodder.

The enthusiasm has been there all along. As I said earlier, the grumbling regarding the lack of term limits for Congressmen has been going on for at least 60 years that I know of. It’s almost as if grumbling is good for the soul. :wink:

The military has limits on total service. In most cases, enlisted are limited to 30 years, with year by year extension available to a total of 35 years. Officers can go to 40 years, with extensions available for those in top positions.

On the civilian side, there are service limits and age limits for law enforcement agencies.

But on the civilian side other than law enforcement, as long as you can drag your tired ass to work, you can continue working.

Sarkis Tatigian holds the all time record for Federal service, at 77 years, working until his death at age 96.

For civil servants on the General Schedule, Wage Grade and Senior Executive Service, there are essentially no limits on service length or age.

I do think average service length will drop as legacy CSRS employees exit the civil service and FERS employees become the norm. CSRS puts a premium on length of service for maxing out retirement, with 41 years and 11 months being the requirement for full retirement.

FERS is not as lucrative in that way and employees are less likely to go beyond 20 or 30 total years of service.

I would not have an issue with capping civil service at 40 years service and 70 years of age. (Excepting those remaining CSRS employees who I would allow to go to 41 years, 11 months to max out if they wish).

For example, Dr. Fauci joined the Civil Service under CSRS in 1968. He would have “maxed out” a 41 years, 11 months sometime during 2010 and would have been required to retire in 2010.

Newer individuals in his job under FERS would likely voluntarily leave sooner than that.