Medicare for all would save 68k lives and 450B a year

Someone who?

Then go live there.

2 Likes

Yes because in most countries a single coughdrop doesn’t cost 10$.

■■■■■■■■■

We have a higher maternal mortality rate (5x the median).
One of the highest infant mortality rates.
We have the worst life expectancy at age 60.
We have the highest mortality rate amenable to healthcare.
Worse wait times.
Tens of millions uncovered.
Tens of thousands of premature deaths due to lack of coverage.
Several countries beat us on 5-year cancer survival rates.
Over 21% of Americans who had a medical problem in the past 12 months did not visit a doctor because of the cost. That’s over 3x the median.
Of those who didn’t fill a prescription or had to skip doses of their medicine due to cost, the US is the worst at 17.7% compared to a median of 5.7%.
Of those who skipped dental care or checkups because of the cost, the US is the worst at 32.5% compared to the median of 20.9%.
Hundreds of thousands go bankrupt due to medical bills each year.

Shall I continue?

2 Likes

No, I’m going to be a part of bringing it here. Deal.

SAFECOR sell single hall coughdrops for 10$ each.

Can you provide a link to that pricing from their website?

They don’t cost that much in the US either.

https://www.amazon.com/halls-cough-drops/s?k=halls+cough+drops

They also aren’t a prescription item.

You’re just making things up now.

We have higher mortality rates because of lifestyle choices.

3 Likes

Almost 2/3 of OECD countries drink more than the US [1].
Almost 3/4 of OECD countries smoke more than the US [2].

We’re the most obese developed country. Perhaps that’s why we pay more? Let’s explore that.

The United States is the most obese developed nation in the world with the median country being 38% less obese than us. We could estimate how much this factors in to our inflated health care costs by finding out what we pay on obesity related health care costs and then subtracting out that 38% difference. The CDC estimates this cost to be $147 billion in 2008 dollars [3]. The highest estimate I could find was from a Cornell University study that put it at $342 billion [4]. By contrast, if we reduced this by the difference in the median obesity rate, it would be a total cost of $212 billion. That’s a per capita reduction of about $400 which would bring our total per capita health care expenditures to about $10,600. I think it’s safe to conclude that our increased obesity rates, while contributing a significant cost, is not a primary factor when determining why other countries are able to spend so much less than us.

1. Alcohol Consumption - Our World in Data
  2. GHO | By category
  3. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/causes.html
  4. http://clinchem.aaccjnls.org/content/clinchem/early/2017/11/10/clinchem.2017.272450.full.pdf
1 Like

Brandolini’s law in effect.

We make an incredible number of poor lifestyle choices, those leading to obesity are just one example.

Drug and alcohol abuse by pregnant women in the US is rampant and a significant factor.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/substance-use-in-women/substance-use-while-pregnant-breastfeeding

Your stats are misleading at bestl.

2 Likes

Really?

Link it.

And it will happen.

Just a matter of time.

1 Like

What would a bunch of doctors know about healthcare? :laughing:

I’m sure the government heavily subsidizing corn and having corn in practically all of our food and drink has absolutely nothing to do with obesity in this country. I mean it’s not like yellow corn has little to no actual nutritional value and is strictly used as a filler or anything. That’s probably why the big aggro farms don’t feed it to livestock to fatten them up. Oh wait.

And lest we forget that GMO corn, which is still allowed to be grown here, is also subsidised and has been directly linked to causing infertility and various cancers. Nothing to worry about. I mean just because every other country on the planet has pretty much banned it…

1 Like

Yeah this article has to be true.

I mean we all know how the govt cuts costs, and how when you drastically increase the demand for something without increasing the supply of it, costs go down…

Of wait…

2 Likes

Source?

When it comes to universal single payer, I’ve never heard about the savings from decreased insurance premiums across the board. If all medical bills are payed under the SP program, then the injured party in an accident doesn’t have to recover those damages. Home or Auto Insurance policies would only have to cover property damage since medical bills would be covered.

I highly recommend that everyone reads the three articles (from CBS News, Forbes, and Vital Record) attached to WildRose’s post. The articles clearly indicate the areas of social reform that needs to occur to improve the health outcomes for USA citizens.

@SottoVoce would you agree with me regarding increasing the focus and investment of public funds in the areas of public health highlighted in the articles would improve health outcomes?