Median death age from virus is 78 years old -does that fact surprise you?

Ok, just wondering. Thanks.

1 Like

It seems with each passing day all have learned and adapted better for new cases cropping up.

Median death rate now being 78 is evidence more people are actually recovering, surely better news than the alternative.

I would think median death depended more on the highway…

Overall life expectancy is also 78.

Joe Biden will soon be 78.

This is an important statistic that should assuage the concerns about opening up.

2 Likes

That’s been true since the first reports came out.

The real news that keeps getting buried is that the median age for new infections had dropped below thirty in most states meaning the mortality rate will continue to plummet.

The current mortality rate when you count all active and recovered cases is below 1% but you’d have to work overtime to find a story on that in the national press.

2 Likes

The elderly and others at high risk can take precautions to protect themselves. Over 80% of those infected are still asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild they never know they’ve had it.

Our healthcare system has been challenged, in places it has bent but it is never failed.

Considering how much worse it could have been we’ve done really well as a nation.

Yes, some governors and mayors made horrible decisions early on that cost us a lot of lives unnecessarily but like with all big challenges when this one is over we’ll know better how to prepare for and react to the next one.

1 Like

Why?

Texas is doing terribly right now.

A great reason not to move here. :grin:

1 Like

Why? That could be categorized as positive news so…you won’t hear it.

That’s exactly right and these facilities did such a poor job protecting their occupants, I believe it borderlines criminal neglect and families will sue?

When considering the percentage of the population over 80 is less than 4% in our country, this would tend to relieve some stress that was inflicted by the media early on to all.

Wild Rose: Was not able to find a report by CNN or MS/NBC or ABC or CBS about new infection median age. I did manage to find a smaller press outlet report it attached herein:

In it, was this graph with median age steadily trending down as follows:

What does it mean that the median age of new cases is dropping in some areas? I see three possible explanations, not all good. A thread on how to distinguish between them. 1/10 (Figure h/t @ScottGottliebMD)

10:13 AM · Jun 23, 2020

Notice the average age testing positive dropping as the protests went on…but there’s no correlation? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Furthermore, this article highlighted a lack of consistency among states in reporting cases by age.

Here is an expert to illustrate from that same VOX piece:

“To make things even more challenging, most states are also primarily reporting the overall number of cases per age group — rather than the percentage of that demographic’s population. (We can see from states that are providing this information that rates among different age groups can be very different than overall case counts might lead you to believe. For example, Massachusetts’s largest raw number of cases have been in people ages 50 to 59, but by percentage, the rate has been far greater in people over 69.)”

1 Like

It does not surprise me. However it makes me feel sad. Not saying it is the OP, but I have seen a lot of reasoning and stretching that it is the old who die of this with the implication that it is understandable. The elderly our history keepers. Often their stories disappear with their deaths. I used to volunteer with NPR to record stories humans have to tell. StoryCorps: Recording The Lives And Stories Of Everyday Americans : NPR

I have a friend die from this. He was 53. It is a terrible death to watch painful and scary. I imagine terrible to feel.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. People who pass prematurely is particularly tragic.

I had a friend, mother of 3, happily married, high on life die of cancer at age 51. Truly heart breaking.

Although there is absolutely nothing good about this virus, younger people do not ultimately fall prey to it like cancer.

I have included an article that predicts: “In 2020, there will be approximately 89,500 cancer cases diagnosed and about 9,270 cancer deaths in adolescents and young adults (AYAs) ages 15 to 39 years in the US.”

Those people stories and accomplishments should be highlighted more as well…

Here is that full cancer.org report:

I totally agree about cancer. I also want to everyone’s stories to be recorded.

This virus is different from cancer though as it is contagious and spread easily. In survivors, it often leaves permanent damage, even in the young. We can take both diseases seriously. Push for cancer research and wear a mask.

2 Likes

Maybe so, but the Trumpers are less likely to wear masks and otherwise behave responsibly, so I gotta think they’ll have a substantial edge.

What protests have there been in Florida where the data are from?

And that’s not the average age, it’s the median age, meaning half are above and half below those numbers.

1 Like