Median death age from virus is 78 years old -does that fact surprise you?

We did a terrible job of protecting our elders.

1 Like

Exactly. Sad, but I can’t think of how to have protected them while continuing to offer assistance. This was inevitable.

How could we have done better?

Encouraging in what context?

Controlling access through testing
Social distancing
Wearing masks when social distancing was not possible.
Isolation of infected.

The media has reported that the elderly are the most likely to die from this since the start of the pandemic.

3 Likes

What I do know Kurt Julian, Evergreen nurse who like my niece worked with earliest patients at evergreen hospital. He was 63, tad older then I, lived a healthy lifestyle, married with kids and adopted kids I think. He was close friend and patient of my niece until she got sick herself.

If you think you might be exception because you’re healthy 60 year old…best think again.

As for age of 78…no I’m not surprised considering the high rate of deaths at nursing homes.

https://www.evergreenhealth.com/body.cfm?id=26&action=detail&ref=356

Most had limited rights for family to visit, and I don’t think social distancing would be too difficult.

Honestly, I think that those in nursing homes and their family should have been encouraged to take the family member away from the pool of other at risk elders and isolate them at home. My assumption is that only a few cases were enough to spread throughout the community given the shortage of nurses and the difficulties of keeping a sterile environment. They would have been safer at “home”

I’m talking about staff.

1 Like

My take is this is not encouraging. I have family members that age. There is literally no way to keep them in a bubble.

My take is that I’m not happy because yea! that’s not me.

Also, my take is all ages are getting sick and it’s a terrible disease to experience and the load on hospital workers is also terrible.

1 Like

Even then, many elderly need hands on care. I would imagine social distancing was being practiced, but in some cases it was impossible.

In my opinion, we didn’t do all we could have done. Not close.

I agree, we could have done better. But if this news is encouraging to some, I think it is an example of the value of human life we have in our nation. In my opinion, other cultures place a higher value to the elderly population than we do in general.

A lot of things surprise me about this Chinese virus, one very thankful & grateful surprise is that it has spared our young children where the seasonal flu does not! It leads me to wonder if this wasn’t an intentional manufactured virus so the CCP in China could reduce their senior population. How it got out of their labs is a mystery but it certainly has wreaked lethal havoc around the globe for the elderly.

1 Like

Why should the press talk about it more?

The topic here is how the vast majority of the infected people who are dying from this plague are at the median age of 78. With steps already taken by all levels to government to better shield the elderly this latest data supports that most working people, particularly under the retirement age of 65 with no pre-existing conditions can get back to normal assuming social distancing and CDC guidelines are adhered to.

1 Like

What better steps?

No country has been able to do it.

I am most encouraged that more and more people testing positive are recovering vs dying.

Concerns are valid: I like you, also have elderly family members (in their 80’s).

Just relieved to hear this news that more people are surviving after all is said and done.

1 Like

Not putting covid positive folks into nursing homes would have helped.

5 Likes

It didn’t list the number of people that lived in these areas only the number that died from COVID-19 something like 250 or so.