Meals in Public Schools - Centgov and the USDA

I thought the school meals in my time were pretty darn good.

2 or 3 veggies, a piece of meat, a piece of cornbread and milk.

Fresh cooked rather than frozen.

Today’s schools think they can do sooooooo much better. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t4:

Is watermelon about “black” history?

1. They aren’t “African-Americans”. They’ve never seen Africa and most can’t find it on a globe.

2. Who “linked” them?

No it isn’t.

4 Likes

I blame Chappelle

Ah, I see it now.

Carry on

Time to face some truths.

1 Like

I have always considered those foods southern.

1 Like

Are you from the South?

I grew up in Texas. I never saw a grit until I was in the Army and only heard about chicken and waffles less than 10 years ago.

And I’m not offended when the peeps in NewYork eat biscuits and gravy either.

1 Like

Yes, I live in the south. Really? You have been missing out. My grandma is Swedish and made chicken and waffles. We also had chicken and crepes. My favorites dish in the world is shrimp and grits. We were served grits at my school in Texas. I do think that chicken and waffles has gained popularity in the last few years and would say it more common. In the south east than Texas.

1 Like

Yep, really.

Just like you can’t get sweet tea that tastes right outside of the south except at chic fil a.

I have no idea but it is a stereotype of African Americans. No one is saying its accurate but nevertheless it exists.

Warning, Wikipedia is uncensored and there is a couple of occurrences of the n-word in the linked article.

Unlike other stereotypes, the watermelon stereotype was deliberately created by former slave holders and white supremacists to depict blacks as simple minded and content with certain pleasures.

The chicken stereotype, particularly fried chicken, arose on its own, due to the fact that chickens were the only animals slaves were allowed to keep for their own consumption and thus blacks became associated with eating chicken.

The watermelon stereotype was purposely engineered, first appearing in 1869.

1 Like

Had you grown up here in the states, you would know that Fried Chicken is a standard food in 99.9 % of every household, regardless of race. The same is true of watermelon. This is a manufactured grievance and nothing more.

3 Likes

I never saw a grit until about 10 years ago at Cracker Barrel. Reminded me of sandpaper.

Never heard of chicken and waffles till this thread.

Ate plenty of fried chicken (minus the waffles) in the south however.

1 Like

Mom was from the South. Dad liked grits with over easy eggs. We had them about once a month. Pan Fried chicken at least once a week. Watermelon every week during the summer. Never had waffles with chicken. Mom only made them about once every three months, mostly because she didn’t like cleaning the waffle iron.

2 Likes

School lunches in France are amazing…

French lunches have multiple courses! They start with a vegetable, such as a leafy lettuce salad, a cucumber tomato salad or beets. Next up is a warm main dish, which almost always includes another veggie. Think sliced roast beef with baked potatoes, veal with mushrooms and broccoli or breaded fish with cauliflower. Sliced bread and butter come on the side, as well as one or two pieces of cheese

French School Lunches vs. American School Lunches.

My favorite in high school was chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes with white gravy. Usually green beans and a dinner roll. I’d get a double plate.

1 Like