Meals in Public Schools - Centgov and the USDA

Constitutional. Always.

Are we opposed to Centgov involvement on the basis of incompetency then?

:rofl:

The nasty dish actually started with the Pennsylvania Dutch in the 1600s.

The black nation misappropriated culture.

Now it’s racist to serve it, at least in February.

3 Likes
  1. Waffles are Pennsylvania Dutch. Not the fried chicken.

2. I don’t think chicken and waffles are racist/stereotypical by themselves. It’s the watermelon for me. They could have done without it.

Anywho to address the original OP. I don’t think there is value added with the feds dictating nutritional value in lunches. I think they can mandate “schools must serve lunch”. However I’d say leave it to local school districts to figure out.

To be more clear… I don’t see how setting that standard nationally advances the US nationally. Not in the same way as standardizing core curriculum, for example.

The Pennsylvania Dutch put chicken on the waffles and covered it with gravy in the 1600s. :face_vomiting:

How is watermelon more racist than fried chicken? Watermelon was growing in Florida in 1576, long before 1619.

3 Likes

Why is watermelon considered black? I can see fried chicken. Watermelon however… nah.

Your words.

1 Like

I know :rofl:

They put watermelon on a plate for black history… what is black history about watermelon?

This whole thing is silly. All I see is a case of looking to be offended.

3 Likes

Give the kids food they will eat that is reasonably nutritious and reasonably economic to serve.

Default to a bologna sandwich and pretzels and milk and apple.

If that won’t do…chew your knuckles.

What a waste of time micro analyzing this.

No one can deny that those foods are stereotypically linked with African Americans. Not saying theh should be but for whatever reason they are.

One of the aims of Black History month is to break stereotypes so while I would not say its necessarily racist it contributes to a lazy stereotype.

I have never heard chicken and waffles as that stereotype. Southern yes.

Watermelon that I could agree with. But then I couldn’t imagine having those three as a meal.

3 Likes

Yes definitely southern but for whatever reason Ican tell you here in the Midwest that along with fried chicken and watermelon has idiotic stereotypical associations.

I never noticed until I started driving a school bus here in South Florida. Sugars and salt really need to be eliminated from public school lunches and breakfasts along with high carb foods. There are in my opinion too many children that are not just overweight, they’re morbidly obese!
Schools need to promote more nutrition and physical exercise. Some schools have either no physical ed classes or once a week!
There are middle and high schoolers that play sports both school and rec programs and that is commendable. But not that they’re allowed to eat on school busses, I find candy bar wrappers and empty Doritos bags all the time. For breakfast?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

We had to actually pay for the crap they fed us. But I only had to deal with that in the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. All other years I either went home for lunch, or out.

1 Like

I also understand fried checked also. But not chicken and waffles. It is getting beyond rediculous if we are gonna start considering any meal with fried chicken as culturaly insensitive.

1 Like

I associate chicken and waffles with the south. Not black people. Watermelon maybe…seems a stretch.

Never had chicken and waffles at the same time.

2 Likes

Recess and phys Ed are another topic.

You get kids to sit still by letting them run around.

Control obesity with portions and exercise.

You don’t worry about anything else. That is up to parents.

Scrap it. Obsolete anachronism that has failed.