McConnell and Co SCOTUS hypocrisy confirmed

Whichever party is in power with create and exercise whatever new “principle” helps their party win.

You’re right. EACH party (it’s not really something at the individual level) will use whatever fits them best.

That’s what I’ve been saying.

Pretending this is something new to the GOP is just naivete. (Or deliberate dishonesty.)

You and I have no power at all to change this. All we can do is lash out at each other (if we so choose) to blame it on the other (as if one or the other has any complicity in it at all). And I’m not looking to go there.

I’m not blaming you for anything.

I blame politicians for being hypocrites and unethical. I don’t care which side. I get upset when people try to justify hypocrisy and a lack of ethics on end results and allegiance to whatever party they belong to.

McConnell seems to be a bit more crass of an example than usual.

You said and I quoted “There is no precedent for filling the seat when the WH and Senate are different parties at the end of a President’s second term.”

Justice Kennedy is the precedent.

Feel free to move the goal-posts once you have been shown incorrect. Any other conditions you want to add?

.^^^^

4 Likes

Oh. Right. You’re just accusing me…

Or maybe you were just trying to be nasty… :roll_eyes:

I’m not blaming you for what McConnell did. If you support that decision, that’s a different matter.

these are horrible people.

1 Like

Filling as in the entire process. It always has been when the vacancy occurs? That is what I endlessly debated several years ago and has always been my target.

I think you are confusing Mitch McConnell with Harry Reid.

Back in the Scalia/Garland era it was humorous how conservatives kept adding new conditions as examples violating their rule came up.

Perks wants to pretend the rule he outlined was vocalized in full form from the get go. Just isn’t true.

1 Like

OK. I pointed out your accusations. You saw that.

Nasty. I really don’t see what your point is, except to case aspersions.

Have at it. As I said, I’m not looking to go there.

A vacancy is filled when the Senate votes to confirm.
.^^^^

1 Like

Harry Reid was never the leader of the Senate Republicans. (Thank God.)
.^^^^

But it opens up long before that. I could care less when the final vote actually takes place. The precedent I’m talking about is when the vacancy actually takes place. With Scalia the vacancy took place in Obama’s last year of his second term with a GOP controlled Senate. With Powell, the vacancy took place in Reagan’s 7th year.

Harry Reid may not have been the leader of the senate republicans, but he took partisan hackery to a whole new level.

It is funny to me to hear someone on the left complain about how McConnell acts after witnessing Harry Reid.

If a person agrees with the current politics of McConnell, specifically completely changing his stance on late term SCOTUS nominations, I believe it reflects poorly on them as an individual. Questions?

Mitch says…whaaaa…whaaaa. :kissing_closed_eyes:

The principle is to get what you want by any means necessary. Dems are just less effective.

I’ve been a Republican since I was first able to vote in 1978. I’ve complained many times on this board about McConnell’s dereliction of duty in regards to inaction on the Garland nomination. The Constitution calls for the Senate to advise and consent (which means they can vote to reject, not rubber stamp). It does not give the majority leader the power to make summary decisions for the entire Senate.

We’re supposed to be better than the DEMs. McConnell acted like a DEM with an (R) after his name.
…^^^^

2 Likes

And your accusations to that effect (which I quoted earlier) were baseless and uncalled for.

The Biden principle was never actually put into practice when the Ds held the Senate. There were no vacancies in 1992. The first cynical use was by McConnell with Scalia vacancy. There was also a context to Biden’s speech, namely that the Senate had already rejected two Bush I’s appointments, forcing him to nominate more mainstream people.