Mass murder in Orange County, California

Mass shootings make up only a small fraction of the homicides in the US. Are homicides less abhorrent if they happen as separate events rather than several at one time?

Knives are involved in several times as many homicides rifles. Logically regulations on knives would have more value in terms of reducing homicides.

If the number of deaths at one time are the only criteria, then the US is well down on the list:

The Deadliest Mass Shootings In History

Rank Name Location Year Victims
1 Garissa University College Attack Garissa, Kenya 2015 148
2 Peshawar School Massacre Peshawar, Pakistan 2014 149
3 November 2015 Paris Attacks Paris, France 2015 130
4 2011 Norway Attacks Oslo, Norway 2011 77
5 Westgate Shopping Mall Attack Nairobi, Kenya 2013 67
6 2017 Las Vegas Shooting Las Vegas, Nevada, USA 2017 58
The Deadliest Mass Shootings In History - WorldAtlas

France and Norway both have tighter gun laws, but have had bigger mass shootings. What basis there to believe that tighter gun laws would do anything to prevent mass shootings?

Planes and motor vehicles have killed far more than guns in mass attacks. Is death by rental truck somehow better than death by gunfire?

Here is a link to an organistion that is tracking the gun deaths in the USA in 2019.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/number-of-gun-deaths

From the site a map showing the number of deaths in 2019

This post might be one of the saddest ways to try to divert the attention away from all the mass shootings we have in the country.

I donā€™t think any of the dead victims would agree with this post. Or their families. Or their kids. Or their parents

Iā€™ve been to that site before. Itā€™s devastating seeing all the faces of all the citizens that have been gunned down. Babies to 90 yos.

There are 18 separate incidents recorded for the 9th August, 2019.

Really? Based on the link you provided, all gun types combined are responsible for nearly 11,000 deaths, compared to 1,591 for knives/stabbing weapons but youā€™re going to cherry pick the rifle subgroup?

So homicides are no big deal so long as they occur one at a time, donā€™t involve a gun, and attract little media attention?

Of course what you said is false.

Youā€™re simply trying to divert attention away from the mass shootings and the firearm homicides.

Iā€™m not sure why.

You are right. The confidentiality rules prevent therapists from squealing on their patients (which is the primary reason that the data base the FBI has access to to deny a gun purchase is so devoid of the names of the mentally ill ā€¦ who constitute the vast majority of mass shooters) so they (as a profession) are morally bound to do whatever they can to prevent any patient that they believe is possibly the next mass killer from carrying out that act. If they refuse to submit the names of dangerously unstable patients to authorities and the data base, then they should shoulder the responsibility to defuse the sick mind or bear much of the blame if the crime is committed.

1 Like

Yes. Submit.

Yes. Submit. We need to find a way to make knives safer. Car manufacturers do it.

China is not a good example they just locked a million people they didnā€™t like in detention camps according the UN. If anything they are the poster boy on what government can do to unarmed citizens.

@Bill.in.PA No fair using the ā€œrifle subgroupā€ just because thatā€™s what we want to ban! You have to include all guns so we can ban assault weapons!

thanks.

it all points back to being a mental illness epidemic. not a gun problem

It drives gun-grabbers completely crazy when you say it, and admittedly, it has become trite, but it is absolutely true ā€¦ ā€œGuns do not kill people; people kill people.ā€

Iā€™m sure their irrational reaction to that statement is because they have nothing to counter it with and they know it. :wink:

1 Like

i am sure too. the ā€œirrationalā€ part is key, and is like how rosie odonnell thinks of the issue

pure distilled 100% condensed irrational

3 Likes

I fail to see the relevance of your comment given I was curious about the date of the article.

Repeat after me: guns do kill people; guns do kill people. See that wasnā€™t hard, was it

I might have misunderstood as there was multiple posts, I was thinking you were talking about how China handled gun control as a good model.