Marine Lt Col that asked for accountability over Afghanistan thrown in the brig

Soldiers don’t have balls.

They obey orders.

This one is a self promoter.

The martyrdom is high with this one.

Allan

That’s your story…You should stick to it.

I think this soldier is a patriot who is being betrayed by a group of people who are actually the ones who should be held accountable for the debacle in Kabul.

1 Like

What damage has he done? Wow, what a threat to national security! Pfffffffffffft!

I don’t even like several things he said. It’s not about WHAT he said as long as it wasn’t threats or something like that. it’s his right to free speech. I disagree just being in the military negates free speech, except if it endangers a mission or such.

I am awaiting the brig…

Allan

Ask the military guys on this one…

You take an oath…

Allan

I ___, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God. (Title 5 U.S. Code 3331, an individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services)

You give up a lot when joining the military.

No one is forced to take a commission. I take this obligation freely.

There is no free speech in the armed forces.

You follow orders.

Allan

What part of that oath says you must have no opinion or be allowed to voice it?

2 Likes

The oath doesn’t…but the UCMJ sure does.

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/1131/rights-of-military-personnel

"## Military restricts political expression

Indicative of the military’s special status, the Uniform Code of Military Justice prohibits military personnel from using “contemptuous speech” against the President and other leaders, from engaging in “conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline in the Armed Forces,” and from “conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman.” These regulations have been used to restrict political expression as well as other activities. Also under the code, military personnel can be severely punished—including dismissal, forfeiture of pay, and imprisonment—for participating in rallies that criticize war efforts, even if they are off duty and dressed as civilians, an issue addressed in United States v. Howe (1967) "

The military isn’t a democracy. I was in the military and knew full well that I could go to jail for disobeying a direct order. The higher up one goes in the command chain the more rigid it becomes. Senior officers don’t get to openly express their contrary opinions on social media. It just doesn’t get any simpler than that. This isn’t a free speech issue. Everyone who has ever been in the military fully understands that simple concept.

1 Like

The guy spoke up because he felt that the fallout of the way we pulled out of Afghanistan violated this part of his pledge.

You don’t know anything about either one.

1 Like

Marine.

A bad plan doesn’t mean they didn’t support or defend. Did General Fredendall not support or defend the constitution against all enemies because he lost the Battle of Kasserine Pass?

You have been spot on in this thread, thank you.

1 Like

Fixed thank you

1 Like

Yes I do,

Just another subject we disagree on.

Allan

“The Department of Defense and Marine Corps bar active-duty troops from participating in “partisan political” activities. Military personnel cannot “speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause,” according to policy.”

Add another one to the list…Is the regulation that hard to understand??

Of course you do, as evidenced by the ignorance of your comment on Beirut.

Tell us all who was going in as the Marines were leaving.

And tell us all about “Carter’s Plan” and Eagle Claw.

Is that what he did?

Here,s a quick refresher course for you.

Allan