Make puerto rico and washington dc states

There is a Census Designated Place called Columbia in Howard County. It is a planned community.

But it would not be a problem as far as establishing a Columbia County in Maryland.

For example, I was born in Bradford County, Pennsylvania, but there is a municipality called Bradford in the northwest portion of Pennsylvania.

Puerto Rico should be a state but partisan politics in Congress will never let it happen.

I forgot America isnā€™t big on the duel citizenship thing.

What do you mean by tax recipients and not generators? I pay the same federal income taxes as you do.

By the way, DC residents arenā€™t looking for statehood. Voting representation in Congress, considering we have more residents than several stares, is all we want. If you donā€™t want to give it, we should not be forced to pay federal taxes.

DC residents donā€™t want statehood. We want Congress to stay the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of our local government.

1 Like

Oh hell no

Do you work for the governmentā€¦yes or no? If yes, you are an expense of ā€œwe the peopleā€. Iā€™m not saying it isnā€™t a necessary expense but itā€™s an expense. Washington DC is in general, an expense of ā€œwe the peopleā€ and therefore my post. DC is not a tax generator but a tax user.

If we are going to force Puerto Rico into choosing statehood or independence, as some have suggested, what about the US Virgin Islands and Guam?

And while we are at it, we can slice and dice California up into 3 or 4 states, and Texas up into 6 states.

Then the rest of the country should have a similar referendum on Puerto Rico. Takes two to make a marriage.

Also will be up for statehood as soon as Democrats take a poll to make sure they come out right.

Puerto Rico is a train wreck.

Right now? No. Even though I generally support statehood that place would be an expensive nightmare to fix.

In the future? Possibly.

Iā€™m a no, whatā€™s in it for us? Their massive debt?

I do not work for the government.

Unless that issue is fixed Iā€™m with you guys on this. No.

At this point Iā€™m for independence with our two countries signing a free trade agreement and a mutual defense treaty.

The status quo is ultimately unacceptable. Itā€™s the last vestige of Americaā€™s experiment with colonial imperialism, probably the worst part of our history during the 20th century.

It isnā€™t remotely imperialism, we arenā€™t forcing them to stay. They can open the door and become independent whenever they like.

Seeing only the cash is a limited view.
In any transaction, cash flows in one direction and goods/services flows in the other. BUT, neither end of that is inferior to the other. It is a fair and equal exchange.

In DC, cash flows in and governance flows out. We can (and do) dispute the value or wisdom of that governance, but the transaction of cash for governance is not inherently unbalanced.

Let me correct that statement. :smile:

In DC, cash flows in and Democratic and Republican excrement flow out. :smile:

Gee, I was thinking that the Democrats and Republicans sent to DC are often excremental.
:slight_smile:

Imperialism got us to where we are. During the Spanish American War, we helped ourselves, quite hypocritically I might add, to a number of Spainā€™s possessions. Now we could have done the right thing and granted them independence and left. Had we done that, we would be in this cluster **** we are in today with Puerto Rico.

I think the United States needs to do the right thing now and close the door on its shameful imperialistic period from the late 1890ā€™s.

1. Grant Puerto Rico independence or make it a State, one or the other.
  2. Close Guantanamo Bay and return it to the sovereignty of Cuba.
  3. Grant Guam, United States Virgin Islands, Northern Marianna Islands and American Samoa independence and establish Compacts of Free Association with all four governments.

The United States was still up and coming in the 1890ā€™s and we wanted to show we could run with the big dogs (England, France, Germany, Japan, etc) and grabbing ourselves some overseas possessions was pretty much a phallic display by the United States. Sadly, we never left.