Looks like Brexit is happening Queen agrees to suspend parliament

Except it wouldn’t be the UK. In fact it wouldn’t even be Great Britain.

Apparently according to one particular poster, it was (Great) Britain that participated in the referendum.

Well Americans as a whole are baffled by the whole England/Great Britain/United Kingdom thing.

1 Like

United Kingdom = Great Britain + Northern Ireland

Great Britain = England + Scotland + Wales

England = England

Simple. :smile:

1 Like

I am sure that any poster who wasn’t aware of the differences will take particular note.

Would you like to throw in an explanation of what the British and Irish Lions are?

As I have noted before, there are only two reasonable alternatives to the Brexit question: leave without a deal or remain. For background see:

Any real change to address Britain’s concerns would violate the EU’s founding principles and would require the agreement of every member state in the EU, which is essentially impossible. If you doubt this statement consider that the French-speaking half of Belgium nearly derailed the Canada-EU trade agreement in 2016:

Right now, the probability of remaining appears to be remote since it would require immediate action by parliament. A no-deal Brexit is certainly the most likely outcome.

It was the idiots within the ERG in the Conservative Party that voted against T May’s deal.

In England these days we would say “simples”…

I am British but consider myself an Englishman.

LOL someone at work once called me a UK person, she thought that was a nationality

i had someone ask me “what do you think of your prince getting married to that american?”…“umm im french” " i know that’s is what i am asking you since you know europe"

facepalm

1 Like

rUK means rest of the UK, if Scotland left.

1 Like

Democracy in action folks.

Meritocracy is fine. Trump is president. Bolsonaro is president. Boris Johnson is prime minister.

The west is best. Clearly.

First off, your no. 2 is presumptuous. There is no evidence to even suggest that without the EU, that Europe would have been embroiled in another war other than its previous history. We are now on our third generation of Europeans who grew up without war. Times have changed. I don’t think the have anything to worry about if the EU flounders.

The people of the former Yugoslavia and Eastern Ukraine might have a different perspective on that.

And something like that will replace the EU if and when it dissolves. This nonsense that the EU must be preserved to preserve the peace is pure fear mongering.

That was an ethic civil war. And the existence of the EU didn’t prevent it. Don’t worry. Germany is not going to invade France, Austria or Poland if the EU fails.

Because if there is anything about Europe is cultural unity…wait

There has been conflict in Europe since WWII, a lot of it.

You can bet your life if the Irish border issue isn’t resolved we could well see bloodshed sooner rather later.
That is the trouble with Europe,there are too many countries with niggling problems with neighbours going back centuries,where there are long standing distrust issues or even outright hatred of each other. Working together instead of opposing each other has been a good thing in my view.

I recall the statement that if there was a hard border again on the Ireland - Northern Ireland border it would immediately become a target. Is this likely to happen if a hard border becomes a reality again?