Local Policy Gaining National Attention School-Hair

Ah baloney. They told his mom it was to prevent “distractions”

the only reason it’s a thing anyone would pay attention to is because the admin is making a big deal out of it. I know I dont ever recall looking at anyone hair in high school and getting distracted. I’ll tell ya what did distract me was some very cute girls I grew up with, but for some reason the school admin didnt make a rule against that.

Didnt their skirts have to be long enough to cover below their knee back then?

We had a dress code that included clear restrictions on hair length and there were quite a few white guys that faced the same options.

It’s only a racial issue to the permanent grievance class.

2 Likes

Stop being sensible and right. I may start to like you if you don’t. :smiley:

The policy was changed just for this kid and that is sketchy as hell. It could well be racial, but at the very least walks a thin line. That said I faced similar BS in a small rural town back in the 70s but I am of Swiss descent so it wasn’t dreadlocks lol. It’s just plain old irrational hatred, that’s what I think.

Don’t buckle kid! ■■■■ those ■■■■■■■■■

1 Like

Did they?

I agree with that. They should just submit.

All country clubs don’t allow “certain types of people”.

Was it?

Emphasis mine. I’d like to see the actual evidence of this.

Apparently it doesn’t effect anyone else and was changed only a month or so ago, so yes it seems it was.

A couple of posts have already cited articles

Was it?

I haven’t seen them, can you provide them again?

1 Like

“The Mother Said”. That doesn’t actually show anything other than the “victims” claims supported by his mother.

The more likely answer is that the dread’s were tolerated until the reached a point that they violated the dress code.

The schools stand to lose way too much in a civil rights lawsuit if they actually changed the rules to target a student, especially a minority student.

1 Like

Look at what the article says the policy is. And look at the statement from the school.

1 Like

This statement?

"Barbers Hill ISD has a long-standing dress code, but we absolutely allow dreadlocks. What we do not allow is any action that circumvents or violates the provision regarding hair length.

Seems like the family is seeking attention and a quick check.

Yes. I believe what we have here is an interpretation issue. And when we have such, who decides?

But

3iqnky

1 Like

Who decides? Scared school boards and liability carrier atty’s.

The cost in both dollars and PR even with a completely baseless case can easily run into six or seven figures and a whole lot of bad press and screaming parents at school board meetings.