Local Policy Gaining National Attention School-Hair

It’s a very stupid policy but I don’t see how it’s racist.

Because people say it is.

1 Like

The rule:

“Though the district allows dreadlocks, male students’ hair cannot extend below the eyebrows or ear lobes, and must be kept shorter than the top of a T-shirt collar.”

Its only racial if non black students are allowed to ignore the rule.
Sounds like local mores are stuck in the 1960s…not so surprising for a small town like that, I would think.
Darn Beatles should be banned.

1 Like

That’s a pretty low bar.

1 Like

More sexist than racist.

It seems they just changed the rule, over Christmas, which now affects this one student a few months before his graduation.

"Deandre said he wears his hair in compliance with the dress code. But after Christmas break and three months before graduation, his mother said the district changed the dress code policy.

“They say that even (when) my hair is up if it were to be down it would be not in compliance with the dress code. However, I don’t take it down in the school,” he said."

Can anyone explain why dreadlocks are so appealing? I am not saying people arent entitled to wear their hair they want but I would like to know what the appeal is about dreadlocks.

I don’t know what’s so hard about imagining having that kind of hair and how that style would help in managing it.

But anyway, from my link above:

"“This is a part of who he is: our beliefs,” she said.

Deandre’s family is from Trinidad. He said a lot of men in his culture grow dreadlocks.

“I really like that part of Trinidadian culture; I really embrace that,” Deandre said."

I suppose culture plays a big part. People like what people like. I just thought maybe I was missing something with the appeal of dreadlocks. Much like the mullet. I never understood that hair style as well. But I loved the saying derived from it business in the front and party in ths back.

1 Like

How do they keep it clean?

Shampoo

2 Likes

No ■■■■■■■■■ seems like lot of work getting a deep clean and then getting the shampoo out.

Oh… so you know how they are kept clean.

Why did you ask?

1 Like

Had to look it up. But lets say I have some real experience in keeping hair clean. :wink:

Locs aren’t a fad. They’ve been a part of American black culture for like fifty years and Caribbean culture for longer than that, where in a lot of cases it has religious significance.

So they just changed the rule a month ago. Shocker, considering how long locs take to grow.

1 Like

When you think of black culture in the 60’s I dont think of dreadlocks. I think of the big afro.

As long as the loks are kept clean and sanitary, then I think this school is way overstepping it’s bounds.

He could send them into conniptions and say he now identifies as a female…

1 Like

Hate? They’re trying to maintain a standard.

In my experience, interesting things tend to happen when a school district is facing down a good lawyer a few hours before a big ceremony the whole town is coming to.

2 Likes