Life without the Fall

They are not? Many beg to differ.

People get resurrected from the dead every day.

Not the instantaneous kind such as happened in Jesus’ day?

And I notice you cut off the one thing we know is not possible by mere voice command.

Interesting…

Not by mere “Hey you who’ve been dead for four days- come out of that tomb!”

Nah, we’re not quite that efficient yet. It takes a few more verbal commands like, “CLEAR!” or “10cc epinephrine.” Sometimes, non-verbatim things like, “Lets go ahead and warm him back up so we can restart his heart.”

Not really. I often divide posts up and answer parts separately. You can wonder what I was going to say about the second part.

We are all also inhabited by the Lord. Everything we experience is His experience through us. This existence is designed with infinite possibilities and zero frame of reference at the same time. He is perfect and we are not. It’s written in our very being that we must be imperfect, which means we will sin no matter how hard we may try not to.

This tells me that God’s intent here was to experience imperfection in every possible way to every possible degree, so that He could finally have others to exist with, because it’s lonely being everything. My faith comes in knowing that I don’t know the ultimate truth, but I exist because of it.

Ah…so Jesus was an advanced extraterrestrial, eh?

I’m still not completely sold on the idea of aliens, so I doubt he wasn’t human. He was called a healer a few times though.

Ok…

If we are going to posit a human so advanced he could bring a person dead for four days by mere voice command through a tomb…

…why should be doubt said advanced human could teach animals to talk or the Earth’s rotation to stop and/or reverse (or cause the illusion thereof)?

Or cause “nature disasters” or “direct the weather” by his hand?

I mean…the animals talking thing is a simple extrapolation from how we’ve taught several types of animals sign language and some rudimentary vocalization already. We’ve not done so well yet with nature manipulation but it’s theoretically possible.

So now we have invalidated Meri’s logic that when we see these things in the Bible they are obviously allegorical.

1 Like

“We’re” doing nothing of the sort. Not sure if you are.

I’ll bet Jesus picked His nose when He was a kid, and possibly even when He was an adult. It wasn’t written about though, so maybe it never happened. I’ll bet He picked His nose though.

Like believing the sky god makes the thunder go boom

Or that the fire gods erupt with anger out of the mountain from time to time. Many themes, but things like God or gods being angry with humans is a common occurrence globally.

Atheism can actually bring discomfort to many. And it isnt boring to replace belief in God with an alternative philosophy or spirituality. It can take many years if not a whole lifetime to find one’s own “place” in the world. Science alone, pick one subject, and you could study it for 50 years

Atheists have my condolences. I hope what ever material subject they choose to mask their loneliness with helps; but more importantly, I hope they are surrounded by loved ones when they depart to the next phase of experience.

Atheism != materialism

It also doesn’t mean you are lonely.

It brings discomfort to me.

I got through many bouts of existential angst.

1 Like

Yep. I remember the moment sophomore year in college where it really hit me that I didnt think God existed. It was very painful emotionally because there was nothing to fill the void. Luckily I had a lot of electives so I took a lot of philosophy and some evolution courses for non bio majors. Ironically, I remember it was gabriel marcel’s work (a Christian existentialist) - particularly “the mystery of being” that got me out of the angst of confronting ones own atheism.

Richard dawkin’s (ya ya I know) “The Selfish Gene” really helped me understand evolution beyond the basics, and on a more genetic level. Stephen jay gould’s “wonderful life” really impacted me as well.

The Bible is almost entirely about Adam and Eves (and the rest of humanities) second chance.

I thought Id revive this thread.

There has been no Fall.

How do people occupy their time?