Life without the Fall

They’d invent stories about a deity who created the universe and a moral code?

Yes. And while they were at it, they invented stories about thorns, thistles, sweat, harvesting food from the earth, pangs of child birth, and how man himself evolved from the earth.

In threads in the broader Religion discussion forum, we can discuss that story from all sides.

This thread is not about that story. The topic is "What would life have been like if there had been no Fall?

C’mon, Meri, even I’mRightYoureWrong is willing to indulge me in this.

It’s just an intellectual exercise. What would life have been like if Adam and Eve had not disobeyed God? What do you think about that?

If you don’t want to play this game, there are other threads where your responses about “the story” would make more sense.

Not a question - since I don’t want to contradict my own request that we stay on topic…so just a statement: it sounds to me like you’re saying mankind invented God and all the stories in the Bible for their own purposes…which is the atheist point of view…

1 Like

Actually…I see you did sort of answer the question. If there’d been no Fall you think we’d live in a world without courts, since there’d be no fraud, schemes or deceptions.

Would there be cities? Would we all speak the same language since Babel would never have happened?

Since I can think of no other purpose for God to put the tree there but to tempt us, life before the fall would continue to have temptation. There is no evidence or mythology written in the Bible where God has not tempted humanity. God created us of being both “good” and “evil” then tempted us into making a choice where we could be eternally punished as a human race. Likewise, this i can only conclude about Gods nature - that he is not all good, likes to play games, and this would translate into life before the fall. We are just a little playground for God.

Plus we would be naked all the time

No. I am saying IF mankind invented God because God is in the story, then they must have also invented the other parts of the story such as weeds, thistles, childbirth pain, etc. They were talking about (in story form) things they knew.

I can work with “What if Adam and Eve had not disobeyed.”

Why does many different languages depend on Babel?

That stuff’s real.

The deity and the heavenly story is that whose “reality” is up to question.

Not to me; not to many.

Excellent. Please do so!

Isn’t that when God confounded men’s tongues and scattered them around the world?

Perhaps not but I am following the logical consequences of your premise.

We know this reality exists.

So did the “atheists around the campfire”.

Why should we posit that this reality was the one that was “invented” in some “third heaven” somewhere?

Okay. You take that story literally, too.

I take every story in the Bible literally.

That is why I am interested in discussing the Bible with people who take the stories in the Bible literally.

1 in 4 people take the Bible literally. Record Few Americans Believe Bible Is Literal Word of God

The only difference between me and them is that I don’t believe what I’m reading and they do, and I would like them to explain to me how they can believe what they believe.

That’s why I rarely respond to you anymore - you look at the Bible totally different than me. Your beliefs may be interesting, I may explore that stuff later, but right now I’m interested in the literalists - the people who believe the earth is 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs coexisted with mankind and that Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden because they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There are Bible literalists on this forum - or at least they were - it is they I would really like to hear from.

That isn’t necessarily so.

There are so many reasons to wear clothing - it does make sense to do so, and I bet the people would eventually have invented clothing for those reasons (warmth in cold weather, support while being active, protection against little biting things) and not because they were ashamed of being naked.

How do we know bugs and bad weather existed before the fall?

You’re right, they probably didn’t. And men and women were probably each of a comely nature, so what mattered if they were naked all the time? ; )

1 Like

Maybe. Or maybe they were really hairy.