Let's get real, none of these people are anything special; a brutally honest conversation

Personally, I always get sick to my stomach this time of year seeing all the hoopla and exuberance (and money) that centers around two rather relatively average and flawed human beings. What the ■■■■ is so special about any of these politicians (or non-politicians)? Can any of them walk on water, raise the dead, guarantee us eternal life in paradise? Please tell me what are the new and intellectually profound ideas that anyone of them is bringing to this election cycle? The problems that we have now are so systemic and have developed over numerous decades. Number 1 likely being the debt:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-real-economic-catastrophe-will-be-caused-by-the-us-debt/ar-AA1okTVX

Some key points:

For the first time since the wartime economy of the late 1940s, U.S. debt is roughly equal to the value of all the goods and services our economy produces in a year. When World War II ended, all that spending on tanks and aircraft came to a quick end. But the major drivers of today’s debt crisis are Medicare and Social Security, and their price tags are set to keep rising. So what does President Joe Biden promise to do about this looming crisis? Absolutely nothing. And Republican lawmakers have cheered him on.

We already spend more on paying interest on the federal debt than we do on Medicaid and defense. Even if rates remain at 4 percent for the next few decades, annual interest payments are projected to surpass what we spend on Medicare and Social Security.

Interest rates are like a time bomb. If they rise to 5, 6, or 7 percent, the cost of borrowing will increase so much that federal debt would be on track to surpass 300 percent of gross domestic product—or three times higher than World War II levels. Eventually, interest costs would consume nearly all of annual U.S. tax revenues.

Social Security and Medicare have special revenue sources, but if nothing changes by 2034, these two programs will be collecting $2.6 trillion annually in payroll taxes and related revenues while spending $4.8 trillion in benefits and associated interest costs.

Republicans like to talk about slashing social spending, but to balance the budget we’d need to completely eliminate all funding for veterans’ benefits, child credit payments, the earned income tax credit, school lunches, disability benefits, K-12 schooling, health research, unemployment benefits, food stamps, homeland security, infrastructure, embassy security, federal prisons, border security, and much more.

The most basic progressive narrative is that deficits don’t matter and that taxing the rich can eliminate the deficit. But approximately 70 percent of the 2001 and 2017 tax cut costs and subsequent extensions went to the middle and lower classes. If you size up their fiscal impact, only a tiny sliver can be attributed to “tax cuts for the rich.”

Seizing every home, yacht, business, and investment from America’s 800 billionaires would fund the federal government for just nine months. And then the money would be gone. So would your 401(k), given that most of this wealth would be seized from the stock market, causing the S&P 500 to crater.

There simply aren’t enough millionaires, billionaires, and undertaxed corporations to close Social Security and Medicare’s projected $124 trillion cash shortfall over three decades or—as some Democrats propose—to finance a generous social democracy for 330 million Americans.

Some more on this issue:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/budget-deficit-climbs-10-in-july-as-government-spends-more-on-interest-than-medicare-military/ar-AA1oFTDP?ocid=msedgntp&pc=LCTS&cvid=9d1af7255cd04239b191dd1e441915b4&ei=37

For the full fiscal year, the U.S. deficit totaled $1.52 trillion with two months to go. That’s down slightly from $1.61 trillion in the same span in the prior fiscal year.

Still, the deficit in 2024 is on track to end up somewhat bigger at $1.9 trillion compared to $1.7 trillion in the prior year, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

A big contributor are rising interest payments on the nation’s record $35 trillion in debt.

The number 2 issue is the cost of living as highlighted to some extent here:

Associated with that is inflation, which has seen the highest and quickest rise in prices in a long time, and prices are still going up albeit at a slower pace than before.

Number 3 is the political divide. Let’s be honest those on the Left and the Right have two radically different visions of what America should be. How often do the conversations here result in a compromise position in which we conclude by holding hands and singing Kum Ba Yah? No matter who wins there will be a very angry and bitter other side along with a more divided country.

Clearly there’s plenty of blame to go around, which I’m not getting into here. There’s no magic fix, or any real fix, no matter who gets elected. Is there anything else you would like to add to this list or change the order?

3 Likes

For example, consider the following policy:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/student-loan-borrowers-beware-biden-and-harris-keep-making-promises-they-know-are-a-scam/ar-AA1oMd2A?ocid=msedgntp&pc=LCTS&cvid=fcfd6493ba5d4df1b7b3a82e582bff7c&ei=32

Our national debt just topped $35 trillion, and it’s irresponsible choices like debt cancellation that are leading to an ever-expanding deficit.

This latest proposed rule would by itself cost the federal government an estimated $150 billion. That’s on top of the hundreds of billions of dollars in loan debt Biden’s already committed to transferring to the American people.

Yes getting “free stuff” always sounds great, but there’s always a cost or harm somewhere else.

Meh. Politicians maybe. But the general public? I think most people want generally the same things. It’s the 10% on the edges of both sides that make the 80% of everyone else look bad.

2 Likes

First off, it’s definitely more than 10% on each side. Second, the politicians are the one’s with the power. Were you fine with the SCOTUS overturning Roe for example? Furthermore, it’s quite vague to say that most people want generally the same things. I mean sure I can say most people wish that they were multimillionaires, or let’s go with something more realistic like “we all want safe neighborhoods.” Even with that the approach is very different between both parties, who when in office have the power. Also, we are not talking about minor things when it comes to safe neighborhoods, immigration, schools, etc. I’m sure the majority of that 80 (or more likely 60%) have certain views on that as well.

i disagree. most citizens are apathetic.

the 2022 midterm elections had a paltry 46% turnout.

if citizens cared enough they would vote.

Allan

I would say a good portion of Americans (around 50%) clearly do not spend the time on politics like those of us here, and don’t believe in either party. Nonetheless, I have no doubt if you sat them down and laid out the position of the two parties the majority would chose a side.

then why dont they vote?

i vote in every single election since 1975 when i turned 18.

its ones civic duty.

Allan

Let me ask you then, would you put something like poverty as number 3, or something else?

I don’t believe that you honestly care about spending. And why should I?

1 Like

Forty six percent is a really strong midterm turnout.

Higher than most presidential elections if I’m not mistaken.

Because what’s the point? Nothing ever changes no matter which party gets the baton.

1 Like

I don’t know about higher but I’ve definitely worked presidential years with around fifty percent turnout. They were super gassed in 2004 because like fifty-five percent of registered voters voted.

More on the election and the deficit:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/us-deficit-will-be-biggest-loser-in-november-pimco-s-cantrill-says/vi-AA1oPiC3?ocid=msedgntp&pc=LCTS&cvid=0bcf0546f0c740c9bf5467887da51380&ei=47

Whether one “cares” about something is completely irrelevant. It’s whether or not incessant deficit spending is going to have consequences, and according to Jerome Powell it is:

Let me ask you this, clearly you are excited about Kamala Harris and ostensibly see her as a very unique individual, so maybe you could please tell me what are the new and intellectually profound ideas that she is bringing to the country?

I suppose you see her as a uniquely talented individual? What would be your response to the OP?

Great OP.

This was a very good and accurate summation of the Biden/Harris Presidency:

Where exactly were all the great policies that bettered the lives of the majority of Americans?

1 Like

More on the cost of living:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/housing-costs-continue-to-drive-inflation-even-as-food-price-hikes-slow/ar-AA1oOABn?ocid=msedgntp&pc=LCTS&cvid=fd2e3181fe314a789c34e03d60f53134&ei=42

Around the country, high housing costs are turning a normal rite of passage for a young couple into a game of grit and chance. Consumer prices continued to cool in July, the Department of Labor said Wednesday. But shelter costs were 5.1% higher compared to a year ago, accounting for nearly 90% of the gain in overall inflation.