Let us be clear. President Trump cannot shut down the federal government!

Got any data/research to back up this claim?

Israel’s border wall along the Gaza Strip is very effective, and its southern border wall is likewise effective;

The two-story corrugated steel fence built under Bush in El Paso, Texas has also proven to prevent illegal border crossings;

And let us not forget Yuma, Arizona’s bipartisan wall cut illegal border crossings to a 10th of what they were in 2006.

Walls do work, and to suggest otherwise is very suspicious.
JWK

Illegal immigration is now costing American citizens over $18 billion a year in healthcare costs alone, far more than the measly $5 billion asked for to build a wall! LINK

I asked for data, not talking points. You said a wall would end illegal border crossings. I want to see the data to backup that claim.

Hey Johnwk2

I don’t believe that you will ever change your mind on this matter but let me state the facts simply.

The only reason for the government shutdown is the linkage of general government funding to funding for Trump’s wall. Were the two separate, the general funding would be provided within a day.

Donald Trump is responsible for linking general funding to wall funding. That is why Trump is responsible for initiating and continuing the shutdown. QED!

7 Likes

I don’t care what you asked. I gave evidence walls work!

:roll_eyes:

Illegal immigration is now costing American citizens over $18 billion a year in healthcare costs alone, far more than the measly $5 billion asked for to build a wall! LINK

No, you gave me anecdotal evidence. I want numbers. By what percentage did illegal border crossing go down? How much did the illegal immigrant population drop after the wall? What is the savings or cost avoidance of the wall?

Donnie and his ill thought out Holiday Shutdown is certainly directly responsible for all these illegals’ cases being postponed for years.

Unbelievable!

Hey, H_Arendt,

Thank you for your political partisan opinion. Now, let us look at the facts.

The fact is, H.R.695 ___ a bill passed by the House and now in the Senate which would finance the federal government and end the shutdown ___ needs ten democrats for its passage. But minority leader, Schumer is threatening fellow democrats in the Senate to not vote for H.R.695, because of Sec. 141 which reads:

”Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, there is appropriated for ‘ U.S. Customs and Border Protection—Procurement, Construction, and Improvements’ $5,710,357,000 for fiscal year 2019, to remain available until September 30, 2023.”

Until a bill funding the government is passed and sent to the president for his signature, the current shutdown rests solely with Congress.

JWK

Interesting. When was HR 695 voted on in the Senate?

Truth does not depend on repetition my friend.

You never answered my question a few days back asking for evidence of Schumer making threats. Rather than move the discussion forward you are repeating yourself.

H.R. 695 was based on Trump’s insistence on tying government operations to wall funding. It was not a sudden brainstorm from Paul Ryan.

It was not voted on. And until @johnwk2 decides to finally take the advice and read the Constitution, he will likely remain confused as to how this is the Trump Shutdown.

It has not been voted on in the Senate as I have repeatedly pointed out. It is stalled in the Senate because it needs ten democrats for its passage. But minority leader, Schumer is threatening fellow democrats in the Senate to not vote for H.R.695, because of Sec. 141 which reads:

*”Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, there is appropriated for ‘ U.S. Customs and Border Protection—Procurement, Construction, and Improvements’ $5,710,357,000 for fiscal year 2019, to remain available until September 30, 2023. **

Those, my friend, are the “facts” and they have been repeatedly pointed out in these forums. Why keep bringing up the same crap when it has already been addressed?

JWK

So to be clear, no Democrats have actually voted against it?

How can you blame someone who hasn’t done anything? It’s a false attack.

To be clear? Do you not read and comprehend what is posted? I just explained the following to you:

It has not been voted on in the Senate as I have repeatedly pointed out. It is stalled in the Senate because it needs ten democrats for its passage. But minority leader, Schumer is threatening fellow democrats in the Senate to not vote for H.R.695, because of Sec. 141 which reads:

**”Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, there is appropriated for ‘ U.S. Customs and Border Protection—Procurement, Construction, and Improvements’ $5,710,357,000 for fiscal year 2019, to remain available until September 30, 2023. ***

Those, my friend, are the “facts” and they have been repeatedly pointed out in these forums. Why keep bringing up the same crap when it has already been addressed?

JWK

1 Like

Not no one has voted against it. Your attack is completely false. You can’t blame people for something they haven’t done.

Somehow it’s not Trump’s fault the government is shut down, even though he said he wouldn’t sign the bill the Senate passed unanimously, because he technically hasn’t had the chance to sign the bill.

But it’s the Schumer’s fault the government is shut down, even though he never had a chance to vote on the bill McConnell refuses to bring to the floor for a vote.

7 Likes

Gosh. It’s almost as if there’s a double standard here.

2 Likes

I made no attack. Stop misrepresenting what I wrote. What I wrote is factually correct.

JWK

1 Like

If Mr. Trump were to receive the $5B in wasteful taxpayer dollars for the stupid wall, what will be done with the money specifically? Details?

Also, you know the administration has only spent 10% of the border security funding they were provided last year. Why don’t they spend the previously allocated money before asking for more?

Inquiring minds johnwk2.

1 Like

You’ve attacked Schumer for causing the shut down when he’s never voted against this funding bill.

It’s a false attack.