Jeh Johnson a Trumpeter?

Essentially, yes. It is a function of the separation of powers.

See US history for countless examples.

it is an invasion. The illegals are not to blame. they are being used by our enemies and their sympathizers… AKA Libs. We WILL be placing an army at our border soon.

our enemies and their sympathizers will provoke violence and people will get shot. Little kids too. Why? Libs will sacrifice those lives to impeach Trump… so they think.

What’s the difference? Separated is separated. Why should the kids whose moms came get special treatment over the ones who were dumped?

South America?

Obama’s not president any more…sorry it you cant deal with loosing two elections to him.

Cool. So if Congress passes a law prohibiting the separation of families, Trump can ignore it?

I don’t have a problem with obama, it’s your hypocrisy that I find offensive.

In one situation, it is the US government forcibly separating children from their parents. In the other, the federal government bears no responsibility for the separation.

I bear no responsibility for starving children in Africa. On the other hand, if my own children were to starve, it would be my fault.

Sure, dude, sure. :rofl:

That would depend on the law, and would have to be resolved by the courts.

Well yeah, the number is high…that, and Trump.

But at least we know now it’s not some principled opposition to the idea of splitting up families and taking children away from their parents, it’s about how many we do it to…and Trump.

And feeding and educating them. How is their single mother going to do that?

But you said the President can choose.

No, really.

The Executive is granted the authority to execute the laws passed by Congress by the Constitution. With that authority comes discretion.

See, for example, the sanctions passed by Congress against Russia that Trump has refused to execute.

For specific questions that involve other aspects of the separation of powers (like yours), the courts would have to decide.

Why are you asking me this?

If he has discretion, he can refuse a reunite order right?

Aren’t you the SME?

Probably. The devil is, as always, in the details.

I am unfamiliar with that acronym.

I googled. I assume you mean “Subject Matter Expert”?

Any “expertise” that I have is in the law, not in appeals to emotion.