Jared conducts government business on What'sApp

Because he is using a private, unofficial, encrypted app, and our national security should not be built on people’s word. It should be built on trust but verify policies.

1 Like

How is it paranoid? Someone who intently uses unofficial applications, private applications, encrypted via private keys, and then expects to just be taken at their word, and you cant think of a single reason why the intelligence community might want to verify - especially given the subject’s foreign business relationships? You cant be serious… I guess he is Trump’s son in law, so therefore we should just take him at his word. I didnt take Hillary at her word, and I’m guessing she was hiding things. Surely, though, you werent “paranoid” about Hillary.

1 Like

I don’t care much about it now either. I guess I could ask someone if my liberal friends but I suspect they don’t care all that much about Kushner either except to point out the hypocrisy of Republicans. But I know you were never one of those nasty “lock her up” chanters. :wink:

I guess that euphemism got lost on me.

I believe she was investigated already, no? What’s wrong with aligning with the outcome of the investigation?

(And preemptively, I said from the start that I doubted Trump colluded and am happy with the recent results from Mueller)

You are assuming that it’s a violation to communicate unless the conversation is open, as in not secure. Cite the part of the federal records keeping regulation which says that Jared cannot use a secure communications platform, even though he forwards all copies of all communications to the records office.

Either the law is clear that using a secure form of communications is illegal, or it’s not. We do not need a federal investigation to look at the law, and see if it’s being complied with.

Hilary was investigated, found guilty on multiple counts of violating the federal statutes, and then the Obama DOJ said they were not going to hold her accountable, by refusing to even entertain the notion of prosecuting her.

This would be like Mueller citing evidence that on multiple counts,Trump colluded with Putin, but he closed the investigation because he felt no federal prosecutors would prosecute Trump for his crimes. Would that have satisfied you if Trump colluded with Russians, but the DOJ doesn’t care? Would that have swept it all under the rug for you?

How stupid is it to use anything but an authorized pre-approved method of communication after making it’s misuse a major campaign issue?

1 Like

I’m confused with your post. In the first sentence you say she was found guilty yet in the last sentence you say she was never prosecuted. A finding of guilt happens after someone is prosecuted so you seem confused.

1 Like

I think it’s a mistake to assume Whatsapp is considered secure by any rational standard the government would use.

Politically speaking, not very, i suppose, which is why I thought it was stupid for Jared using this app.

However, the records keeping act is all we are talking about. Only speaking about unclassified communication exchanges, people who are using other forms of communications, besides emails, if they submit records of the conversations to the federal records office, then I think they are in compliance.

It’s more secure than the mom and pop operation at Platte River Networks.

That’s really neither here nor there.

Both are unsecured as far as the government is concerned.

I don’t follow you. If Jared were to communicate with Prince Mohammed bin Salman over email, the Prince would not have a .gov email address and would not be on a government system. Jared would email over some public Saudi email domain server, it would probably be even less secure than WhatsApp, since at least the app is using end to end encryption.

Jared also shouldn’t be communicating with Prince Mohammed bin Salman over email either.

If I’m not mistaken, all conversations at this level with foreign governments are automatically considered classified.

Well, that is an assumption on your part.

If there is some law which dictates that, then wouldn’t his violation of this be the topic? I’m not aware of any law which limits communications like that, unless of course they are of a classified materials matter.

Not an assumption, it’s what I’m recalling from the Clinton email server fiasco. It also makes perfect sense.

I’d have to see the section cited for that law. It still seems like a vague recollection on your part, and I have never heard that any and all communications were classified.

Let’s say they are all classified, then Jared could not have any discussions with any diplomat over any public email domain server.

If it were the case that all conversations with a foreign diplomat were classified, then what about all the leaks of Trump’s conversations, his first few months in office? Someone needs to be in a prison cell for that, and yet I don’t recall any Democrats calling for an investigation into that.

There is no law that determines what is and isn’t classified at what level. It’s all done by executive order.

Do you honestly think heads of state are sending emails to each other? Clinton never did that.

And yes, leaking Trump’s conversations with foreign leaders was illegally leaking classified information. Investigate away. Like every other administration, their ability to investigate the leaker is stymied primarily by the DoJ’s reluctance to get search warrants against journalists (yes, Obama’s DoJ did this a handful of times. Trump’s DoJ has as well, but by and large it’s not done).

Since Jared made copies of his conversations and sent them to the records office, and did not bother to make them classified, I am going to assume they were not classified in nature.

Absolutely. Clinton didn’t bother to make anything classified on her server either. How did that turn out?