I've Been Thinking - Policies, Climate Change, Healthcare

How is automation of entry level jobs a problem? How do you get a handle on that? Are you going to tell businesses that they can’t save money and improve quality through robotics and have to employ a person instead?

Just random thoughts:

Too many people, stretching available resources, or exhausting available resources, has been a problem for a long time. For prehistorians, the causes and consequences of the domestication of plants and animals and the origin of sedentary life is still one of the important unsolved problems in the evolution of human culture.

It seems (somewhat) clear that the that the flow of energy through an ecosystem is crucial to population dynamics. When the amount of food per unit time or space can increase, the human population rises to new levels. This is known as “intensification” in some circles. Rising populations, particularly when times of scarcity occur (for whatever reason), leads to conflict. “Takeover,” then, is an important means of acquiring food and energy. Humans takeover land from other species and may spend considerable energy trying to exterminate them. They take over land from other humans and even even use them as a source of energy . . . called slavery.

For most of human (pre)history, including most of the last 10,000 years or so ago, the sun provided the primary source of energy . . . for everything. But human invention intensified the use of that energy. And raised the ability of the earth to support more people.

And, just by they way, as far as most prehistorians can piece together, the rise of human inequality, the division between the haves and have-nots, closely parallels the rise of cultural complexity. Since the origin of agriculture, most humans have been the have-nots.

More recently, somebody figured out how to put a straw in the ground a deliver fossilized solar energy. Almost, at least in the beginning, like free energy. Like somebody just put a billion dollars into your bank account. Coal, natural gas, and oil have transformed the world with virtually free energy.

I think that’s partly responsible why an old, very middle class school teacher like me has access to the kind of protein that would be the envy of a medieval king.

So how long does that last?

Just random thoughts.

Oh, I’m sure that is an immediate concern.

But this is becoming a worldwide problem. Resources, as they are now, can’t keep up with the ever increasing population. China saw this coming decades ago, and while their methods of population control were abhorrent, they’re poised to become a superpower the likes of which we’ve never seen. The solutions to these problems we’re facing are way above my pay-grade.

Don’t look through the lens of politics or ideologies. Look through the lens of biology and energy.

Not a bad start, some things worth considering at least.

Birthright citizenship must be addressed as well and it needs to be clarified that only those legally present at the time of the birth will be able to claim it for their children.

People here on temporary work visas must be excluded as well.

To remove all of the illegals we need to increase the size of ICE’s interior enforcement division by at least 5-10x and expand the immigration courts at the same time to handle the volume.

2 Likes

Not trying to bait, but genuinely curious: what is your stance on abortion?

Except the scripture passage speaks of children in the plural.

limit children being born in US while world pop continues to explode?

besides. people are potential solutions. not necessarily problems. you sound like a leftist

(sorry)

1 Like

People create at least as many problems as they solve.

90% of the problems man is tasked with solving are problems created by man.

We have limited natural resources and a pollution problem. We can’t grow the population forever without eventually getting to a crisis point.

they been saying this since like the early 70’s. have some faith in humanity, and mother nature

I’m stating facts.

Get out of the US sometime and visit Africa and learn what it’s like when the human population exceeds the available resources.

The globe is essentially a big fish bowl, everything runs smooth until you get a few too many fish.

What follows is a complete crash of the population which can easily wipe out the entire ecosystem.

With people, when those resources begin to no longer be able to support the population you end up with filth piled to the rafters, people starving in the streets, and war.

Just like I don’t know what the ideal global temperature is I don’t know what the ideal population is either but I do know that life expectancy and quality of life will only remain high as we don’t approach those limits much less exceed them.

What I do know is that unlike America in it’s first two hundred years, we don’t need any more people to build or maintain what we have.

the problem in places like africa isnt population. it’s the maniacal islamist corrupt governments. as a conservative you should realize this

You’ve never been to Africa and don’t understand it at all.

The radical Islamists are primarily in the North and East.

For the rest of the continent it’s a continual fight for resources, particularly food and water.

More people needed to take care of the benefits we have promised to those already on board? That sounds kind of like a ponzi scheme.
In any case, those benefits aren’t going to be covered by low paid cabbage pickers and Walmart sweepers.
They will, however, help use up those benefits.
That still speaks for merit based immigration.

that is the story for the whole planet

as long as there is scarcity of resources, there will be conflict. theres plenty of food avail for everyone, if it could be adequately acquired and delivered. corrupt governments dont allow this as much ad they could

take a look at the largesse of the governments of every spot where population is supposedly the problem.

Seriously?

There’s only plenty of food and water for everyone if a world gov’t takes over and administers it worldwide.

That means the developed world is living on rations and being forced to give their food to the rest of the world.

That doesn’t even begin to address the problem of potable water.

We cannot simply grow the population unchecked without it eventually crashing and when it does the casualties will be in the billions.

Would it not make a whole lot more sense to reduce the population to a sustainable level and manage our resources accordingly?

world government to solve all these problems?

oh boy…

reducing birth rates will not help anything. ever

i have described why

The system you are describing would be bound to ultimately fail. If not short term, then eventually, when the population of the US is a billion, two billion etc. Or do you foresee a population of a trillion going on a zillion?
Maybe to make big money in real estate it is best to have continual population growth. For the average person where GDP per capita and not total GDP is the issue, not so great.
And aren’t we being told all the time that there is an increasing problem of machines doing the work humans used to do…and that this will be increasing?

No you haven’t.

Falling birth rates are the answer, the only question is how we get there.

The US feeds more of the world than any other country but we’re not going to give it away for free in unlimited amounts forever.

Neither is any other country, it’s economic suicide.