Is this a hate crime?

Magic words.

It was funnier in the movie.

You do know that Amazon pays their employees 15 an hour to start, right? That’s across the country. Another 2 dollars an hour during the pandemic. And almost 3 more dollars an hour shift differential where applicable. Nothing compared to UPS, but what were you complaining about?

Amazon drivers aren’t “employees.” They’re independent contractors.

Their locations, driving speed, and even their facial expressions are tracked constantly as they work. If they fall behind their schedule, they can get fired. If they brake too fast - even to avoid an accident, they can get fired. If they yawn, they can be fired.

$15 an hour isn’t enough to justify pissing in water bottles because a rest stop might put them in the red, on their tracking app.

Those the employees that wear diapers in the warehouse and can’t take water breaks?

A lot of the drivers are paid per package. Though that might have changed.

They are destroying the retail character of our country and are a terrible employer. ■■■■ Amazon.

Yes because he believes in today’s right wing tropes.

1 Like

Their working conditions are terrible. This is a well known fact.

Amazon’s warehouses are a million times worse than Wal Mart DCs, which aren’t anything to brag about. But at least Wal Mart doesn’t abuse their worker’s bladders and bowels like Amazon does on a frequent basis.

Money isn’t everything.

Retail in America is generally terrible.

I’ve been doing it for ten years. Ranked up a lot and making good money. But there were days where I considered putting a .357 through my head.

If you’re not getting abused and disrespected by customers, if your management is trash then you’re getting abuse from them as well.

Retail is some of the hardest work you can do from a mental standpoint. I don’t care what anyone says.

I would never even consider working for Amazon. Even if I was younger. But when I look for stories from those that had warehouse jobs, they’re not all horror stories. They don’t lead me to believe they’re similar to Walmart. That said, as a life long union member, I wouldn’t work there.

Are you sure about that? There’s two different types of drivers, at least by me. The people that actually drive an Amazon van, and those that use their own car. I know the one’s that drive their own car don’t have any of the problems you’ve mentioned above. But I’m not sure how they’re paid.

The main issue with retail and retail warehousing is unrealistic performance goals. Always has been.

It’s the central issue. Every other work issue in retail spirals from unrealistic demand by management.

The company I work for used to be unreasonably demanding. But after suffering years of outrageous turnover they realized that they could increase productivity by measuring expectations better.

Now its a good company to work. Pay is still below average for profitable corporate retail, but the work conditions have improved dramatically since I started.

That and the service industry has to be two of the absolute worst.

It is.

You take a lot more ■■■■ for less pay than most other industries.

I’ve had guys come work in retail from the oil field after it crashed. After a month they always asked how guys like me, who’s been doing it for a decade, hasn’t shot themselves yet.

It’s something you learn to deal with and compartmentalize over time. Compared to hard labor, you save your body over the long haul. But you replace the physical wear out with mental wear out.

Long term retail and service workers are some of the most cynical people you’ll meet. Like cops and nurses. You see a lot of the bad side of people. Not the same sort of bad obviously, but you see how uncivilized a lot of people are constantly.

I’ve had idiot customers threaten me physically over parts that failed unexpectedly. Like a battery failing to start the car after a year of use. Nothing I did was wrong, but because I’m wearing the shirt I’m the face of the company and they are going to lose their ■■■■ one way or the other.

Yes, there are two types. Both are independent contractors.

The people who drive their own cars are Amazon Flex drivers. They pick a block representing a time and a location on the app, and they’re paid based on how long Amazon expects their assigned deliveries to take, and how many deliveries can be made an hour. It’s like Uber- it’s part-time, choose-your-own-schedule work.

The people who drive the vans are Amazon DSP drivers.

Both use an app that tracks them, but the DSP drivers are what I’m talking about.

Ok. That doesn’t really surprise me because I know a few people that used to drive for UPS and they can be pretty strict there too. But they’re getting paid way more.

Thanks to the Teamsters.

You don’t have to tell me about money isn’t everything. I worked road maintenance for 5 years at 33 an hour. I purposely took an 8 dollar an hour pay cut to go back to tolls.

I’m aware of the pros and cons at an amazon warehouse. The point is, there are plenty of people that actually don’t mind it so much. Even when they list their pros I’m not impressed. But that’s not fair since I’m comparing it to the jobs I’ve had. But never in my life did I ever have a job with such bathroom and eating restrictions.

Their break times for 10 and 12 hour shifts are horrible. Their time off per year is also horrible, yet it’s listed as a pro by some. But again, I’m giving you my opinion. A person that has worked union jobs all of his life. Others don’t see it as bad.

Yeah. I my opinion is, ■■■■ amazon. Anyone that treats their people like, while ownership makes billions, are ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■ in my opinion.

I can’t really disagree with you, I’m only playing Devil’s advocate. But a lot of people like that job. And sadly, it’s one of the better jobs out there for people that live in states with a stupid low minimum wage.

Think about it. We live in NJ where you can get paid 15 bucks an hour or close to it for working at Shoprite. Amazon pays roughly the same and tracks your every minute. Many people that work for them are young and inexperienced. They just don’t know any better.

Yeah, and that’s a testament to the systemic problems in our attitude toward labor in this country.

You are lucky to have a union. Thanks to republican efforts, most Americans don’t have that benefit.