Is there anyone who does not support term limits?

I was a proponent of term limits, then after reading some of the arguments against them, I changed my mind (sort of).

I think that there shouldn’t be term limits, but a max on pay for senators and congresscritters. Since they are part time in DC, and part time in their community, I would like to see a cap of say $50,000 per congress person. They can make up the other portion of their salary either as a lawyer, businessperson, etc. And they should pay for their own air fare and health care.

The administrative state and the Constitutionality of the bureaucracy.

That’s one possibility.

We could always dissolve the republic peacefully before it comes to that and reform it to be more representative of the different cultures of the United States.

Who am I kidding. It would end in a bloodbath. Those who have power won’t relinquish it without a fight.

I think we should break it up. It’s too big to govern as a republic anyway. How about 11 nations?

I don’t like the idea of Yankeedom being separated from the other “nations”.

Me.

I don’t.

Don’t mess with freedom, right?

Looks good on paper but what happens when New France and Yankeedom conspire to choke off the Midlands shipping channels to boost the tidwater’s ports? Not sure how we’ll all be better off once Ohio starts bombing Niagra Falls.

On the other hand…you never hear much about Herzegovina anymore. No news is good news right?

I do. But it needs a few more divisions. NYC would be its own City-State . The Lake Erie part of Pennsylvania would have to be a free-trade zone otherwise I’m telling you, Ohio is going to go ape ■■■■ and Chicago would be exporting anarchy by rail across the country.

You say that now, but in 6 months after Jeff Bezos buys Idaho you should try to say that again.

I do. In fact it’s my favorite part.

I’m down with that.

We can have a federal military apparatus and a basic federal government that deals only with foreign policy and interstate issues.

Everything else is left up to the new nations to iron out in their own territories.

Six years, or two terms, which ever is longer.

This balances between the House and Senate, since their length of office are vastly different.

Since we’ve never had term limits on the federal level there is no objective criteria to base it on. Nonetheless I FULLY agree with you that these people are woefully overpaid for as you rightfully note is a part time job. And almost certainly 50% or more of their time in this part time job is spent campaining and trying to get reelected.

Isn’t it case that many politicians get friends and family members positions as lobbyists? (I am personally aware of some accounts of this.)

Clearly not here, although I do believe term limits are more of positive position with conservatives or people on the right than with liberals or those on the left. In other words in a different forum this view would be more accepted.

The reasoning I support term limits is due to the fact that these are very privileged positions that hold a lot of power and I view the notion that “all power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely” as truth.

Not very realistic.

A family anywhere isn’t living the life of Riley on $50,000 and you want someone to live in two cities and travel between the two for same $50K. You wouldn’t. You couldn’t. Not for long.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
We went from something less than a third world country in 1789 to the mightiest nation in the world, without congressional term limits.
Why change what worked?

I’m not even sure that a presidential term limit is a good idea. Would we have been worse off with a third Eisenhower term? A third Clinton term? Were we worse off with 3rd and 4th FDR terms?

I also think the 22nd amendment should be repealed. Why should the congress and supreme court be allowed unlimited length of duration when the President is blocked? And vice versa.

Exactly where did I say Sean Hannity was left leaning?

I like the incorporation doctrine, thanks.