Ireland would need to cull up to 1.3 million cattle to reach climate targets

Let us not forget their tasty little friends: chicken and the pig.

2 Likes

Chickens and pigs don’t fart. They only “emit”. So no problem there.

I want to address this in a fully serious way.

I have spent my career in agribusiness in various roles and levels. Early on, I ran a beef slaughterhouse. Over the years, I have seen all aspects of the meat and poultry industry close up, some good, some bad, but in most cases improving.

Two points that must be made.

1. Mankind (nearly 8 Billion individuals) cannot be sufficiently and affordably fed except by an extreme economy of scale.

2. Industry of any kind, food or non-food, does not arise in a vacuum. It arises from an “a priori” demand for the product or service in question AND for that product or service at the cheapest possible price.

For example, people want eggs, CHEAP. Suppliers figured out that to get to CHEAP required an extreme industrialization of the process. Battery cages, selective breeding, artificial light, etc. The public who craved those eggs were not concerned with the welfare of the chickens, so neither was industry.

In recent years, the “a priori” portion of the equation has changed. Many people still demand cheap abundant eggs without regard for welfare of the chickens, but many other people do demand improvements in welfare. Thus a change has occurred from battery cages to cage free operations in many egg production units, to satisfy public demand and the demands of certain companies, such as McDonald’s, for cruelty free eggs.

There is a market segment that demands changes beyond that, including free range eggs and pasture raised eggs. And suppliers have arisen to meet those demands. The people demanding these type of eggs recognize they must pay significantly more to support their choice, but are willing to do so.

But as long as a segment of the population demands eggs at the lowest possible price, a segment of industry will support that demand through battery cage operations.

The bottom line, industry does not exist in a vacuum, it is symbiotic with its market. Industry will only change if consumers willingly push such change by voting with their consumption dollars.

2 Likes

It was hilarious. Now it’s just a slightly humorous pig poker to use on actual PETA supporters.

1 Like

It will not burn up unless God does it.

1 Like

:+1: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I said that to a peta member one time. Her head nearly exploded. :grinning:

6 Likes

My version happened in college. After a meal where I went back for seconds of “veal” at the freshman cafeteria I was confronted by two ladies concerned that I didn’t understand about the baby calves suffering.

Now, I was completely dismissive that they would be serving actual, real and expensive veal that you could get in line to get seconds of in the place, but instead of point out that I was so annoyed at their presumption that I said: “The animal’s suffering enhanced my enjoyment when eating it.”

Their jaws dropped and they quickly retreated from even being physically near me, maybe even left the building for all I know.

3 Likes

Meanwhile in Ireland: Death by Chicken (not the Bee)

I was thinking of doing a thread on that. Chickens are commodities and food. They are not pets, as much as some people like to think.

Particularly roosters.

2 Likes

how many “chicken” nuggets actually contain “rooster” parts? would a rooster nugget be different from a chicken nugget?

Commercial nugget products general contain a substantial portion of both rooster and hen meat. General meat birds for such use are slaughtered young, before the sexual development of a rooster degrades the quality.

No true Scotsman could have been killed by a chicken.

1 Like

I raise capons at home, which are castrated cockerels. Caponization renders the bird docile and results in substantially higher meat quantity and quality.

Well yeah, but to kill a guy?!

The attack bloodied his leg.
He died of a heart attack.
Roosters aren’t actually deadly, except to people for whom shoveling snow etc. are also deadly.

But they can be mean.

Well, he was an Irishman. Not known for actually being lucky.

While death is rare, roosters do kill a handful of people each year and injure many more.

Those spurs aren’t just for show.

While they may not be as dangerous as other animals, it is still stupid to trifle with a rooster.

Which makes this guy’s death even more stupid. He knew the rooster was aggressive and had taken it from his daughter for exactly that reason. Yet he failed to exercise due care in the presence of a known aggressive bird.

They can be total ■■■■■■■■■ The day ours chased our daughter up onto the railing of the porch and was a total jerk, well, let’s just say his day ended poorly.

1 Like

3 Likes