Inflation Surged 8.6% Over The Last Year - Fastest Since 1981

It was predictable as soon as you guys started printing money so people wouldn’t work…and then double down on it after your favorite president came into power.

You got just what YOU wanted…so stop blaming others for your failures.

5 Likes

We guys were printing money in may 2020. Trillions of it. That’s when Biden was president of course.

That of course caused global inflation so it all makes sense

If only people would just realize that America Last is a good thing. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

We guys? You mean democrat congress?

1 Like

Yes we guys. The senate voted on it too…… of course Biden was president snd democrats controlled both houses of congress in may 2020.

Global inflation was rising due to supply chain issues and economies restarting.

The Biden administration handled the port of LA poorly… but there was also a perfect storm of failings that had been building up for years. Like all failures like that… it is impossible to blame it on just one thing and the Biden administration didn’t seem to have any quick solutions… but I am not sure that anyone did.

As far as gas prices rising after Biden took office vs pre Covid…. Is not really comparable since the motivations of the oil companies changed. Remember that in April 2020 the price of oil completely collapsed and then sprang back faster than everyone thought because it turns out that demand for goods didn’t go down…. It actually increased.

So after a time when oil producers were cutting production to keep a profitable price level they were then suddenly playing catch up.

Then their motive shifted from new wells and exploration to returning money to investors… which is fine… but they are really enjoying the high price and as far as I can see there is little the government can do to change this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-16/oil-prices-near-100-as-global-economy-struggles-to-balance-post-covid-crash

So along with that increased demand, supply chain issues, higher fuel cost we have too much money chasing too few goods.

That would have happened no matter what… no matter who would be in office.

Biden should get hit for it… but it should be done as a fair assessment of the situation.

I looked up the GOP plan.

I am not sure how great pushing hydropower is…something that I am for by the way… when there is an enormous drought going on in the West.

Imo. Investment in a new grid with a heavy increase in wind and solar with Natural Gas as a gap energy source should be the immediate goal. Heavy investment in new battery technology like sodium -Ion batteries and such.

We willfully ceded manufacturing of the next generation of power generation overseas and we have a lot to do to catch back up.

The truth is that we have to abandon as much as possible fossil fuel use. It is going to start costing us more and more in environmental costs which will be a drag on the on the economy in the long term.

Nicely said. Unfortunately it’s simply easier for people to think at bumper-sticker levels - Biden Bad!!! - and toss in a middle school level meme rather than actually try to rationally evaluate the situation.

:rofl::+1:t4:

Have to get nuancy.

We see it on both sides and I try to avoid doing it myself because it adds nothing to a debate. I suspect there are more than a few posters who would struggle in real life discusssions with no access to google.

But back to the OP with the whole world facing inflation we woud be here regardless of who the President was.

Biden does a piss poor job of communicating. One thing I will say for Trump he knew how to control and dominate the discussion.

There is a case to be made that Biden’s policy that DID pass…The American Rescue Plan…exacerbated inflation. I point you to this Vox article (Vox isn’t what I would call a RW outlet).

TL/DR takeaways:

• Our core inflation rate (minus food and energy) is 3 points higher than the OECD median
  • A ton of money was injected into Americans’ pockets and spurred demand while supply chains were still recovering
  • We just had a stimulus passed by Trump in December- did we need another one?

On the flip side:

• Some economists feel it was only a minor component and point out the US had a stronger recovery in 2021 than the other OECD countries

BUT…the OECD countries did recover, albeit more slowly. Maybe we could have done the same.

I think in that last sentence might lie a possible learning. Americans have become used to the federal government manipulating things to spur economic growth- either tax cuts (GOP) or spending (Dems). We just never want the good times to stop, and so accept a lot of government manipulation of the economy.

How about both sides agree the government should go back to doing that only in really severe emergencies as opposed to try and smooth out each and every little bump so spoiled Americans can always feel warm and cozy?

5 Likes

We need to vote for ones,that are fiscally responsible. I’m all for either party pushing that.
I certainly don’t plan to vote for any congressperson who supports spend back bigger.

There’s no one to vote for then.

But back to the OP with the whole world facing inflation we woud be here regardless of who the President was.

That’s speculative.

I would like to think that a Republican would have refrained from badmouthing and over-regulating the energy sector, would not have over-stimulated the economy with reckless pork, and would not have re-appointed Yellen and Powell (two of the worst Fed-heads in the recent history of bad Fed-heads) to the Treasury and Fed.

And, if Trump, or any other Republican had presided over this disastrous fiscal policy, I would be here bashing him as well.

No we were going to be facing inflation…just a question as to how severe it would have been.

It was inevitable after coming out of the severe recession we were in.

I don’t disagree. But 4% inflation would be much more manageable than 8%+

That’s where we are now due to reckless fiscal and energy policy.

1 Like

We weren’t in a recession.

3 Likes

Now that’s speculative, Trump signed two stimulus packages and the second one he was not satisfied with its size he wanted it to be even larger.

Powell had and continues to have broad support within the GOP.

Bad mouthing oil while it certainly plays a part in sentiment is the least of reasons for the price of oil being what it is.

In fact oil companies are making record profits:

You know what else added to inflation that people seem to overlook? Home refinances

And President Trump

How does that add to inflation? If a refi gets me a lower rate, my mortgage payment goes down.