Inflation Surged 8.6% Over The Last Year - Fastest Since 1981

More money to spend, this inflationary period was exacerbated by too much money chasing too few goods.

Look at cars for example

What the fed is trying to do is purposely slow down the economy slow down spending by making the cost of money more expensive.

8.6 % inflation is coolā€¦

We just donā€™t get how awesome it is to pay record high gas pricesā€¦we are all part of History!

Itā€™s just the messaging we donā€™t get.

(By the way for all the wizards of smart who claim this thread proves who hasnā€™t studied economicsā€¦those of us commenting on the disaster Biden has created predicted all of this during the campaign. The only thing we got wrong was how absolutely horrible that senile old man and the idiots around him would be.

4 Likes

If it makes you feel better then sureā€¦like magic inflation rose ā€œbecause Bidenā€ā€¦ :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

A state caused one not a Trump caused on but we were. Two quarters in a row of negative growth is a recession. Now it wasnā€™t real of course because it was caused by an economy shutdown but still

1 Like

Donā€™t forget Biden was president beginning March 2020

Weā€™ve got the lowest rate of unemployment since 1981 as well. Thank you Biden!

1 Like

:rofl::+1:t4: De-fence! De-Fence :person_fencing:

2 Likes

Offense is so much easier :sweat_smile:

this is true

:rofl::+1:t4:

biden planning

1 Like

More cash in your pocket.

1 Like

Your ass clown promised us a nap.

3 Likes

I have the pleasure of getting to vote for Thomas Massie every time heā€™s up for election.

Trump sent out the first $1200 check, followed by another one in December. Trust me - Iā€™m not Trump. Not by a longshot.

I actually have character and integrity.

You voted for a character with no integrity.

3 Likes

Act like progs werenā€™t sky screaming for it. Act like he wasnā€™t a heartless bastard everytime he hesitated.

Come on man! Revision already?

4 Likes

Now thatā€™s speculative, Trump signed two stimulus packages and the second one he was not satisfied with its size he wanted it to be even larger

And I cursed Trump when he did that. However, Bidenā€™s stimulus was roundly criticized by even his own advisors and Obamaā€™s advisors (like Larry Summers). I remember reading an article by one that said he thought it would add 2-3 points to CPI. Iā€™ll have to try to find it.

Powell had and continues to have broad support within the GOP.

Curse them, too.

Bad mouthing oil while it certainly plays a part in sentiment is the least of reasons for the price of oil being what it is.

No, over-regulation is the major factor. I am semi-retired but work part time as a regulatory compliance consultant. Most of my clients are oil and gas broker/dealers. To a man, they tell me supply shortages are largely a factor of over regulation. I donā€™t expect you to believe me. Seek out an acquaintance in the industry and ask them yourself.

In fact oil companies are making record profits:

Supply and demand. And, I donā€™t blame them for trying to bank as much profit as they can. If I worked in an industry to which the current administration is hostile, Iā€™d be trying to bang out as much profit as I can until the next shoe drops. Wouldnā€™t you?

4 Likes

A few things here:

On the stimulus, why would Bidenā€™s one round add more to inflation then Trumps two rounds?

The truth is both parties were on board with stimmyā€™s and had there been enough goods/services to service that increase in money flow we would not have the inflation we have today. What the economist failed to really take into account was how difficult it would be for the service sector to come back online its only now starting to see signs of recovering. That along with the impact of supply chains constricted the ability for this increase in money supply to flow out and be absorbed by the economy as a whole. Which lead to inflation.

Based on Trumps wish of having a larger stimulus, I cant see him ruling out a third, maybe maybe not but thatā€™s a no change for me.

Regarding Powell, I understand you donā€™t like him I am in agreement that he acted too slowly in terms of raising rates and is now playing catch up now that inflation is much harder to reign in. But there is no indication a change in who is President would have made a difference in him staying Fed chair.

Also a no change.

As to oil supply according to major oil companies the reason they wont increase supply is:

"Nearly 60% cited ā€œinvestor pressure to maintain capital disciplineā€ as the primary reason oil companies werenā€™t drilling more despite skyrocketing prices, according to the Dallas Fed survey.

Only 11% cited environmental, social or governance issues; 8% said they had difficulty getting financing; 15% cited other reasons."

There is some of what you speak of regarding over regulation, govt hostility but it does seem to be the driving force coming in at 11%.

1 Like

Are you saying that the $100/month in reduced mortgage payments is inflationary?

Or are you saying that people who refi might take cash out of their equity, and spend that cash-out ā€œwindfallā€?

If the latter, thatā€™s just spending borrowed money ā€“ just like our governmentā€™s print-money deficit spending. Itā€™s not the refi that adds to inflation. Itā€™s deficit spending.

What I am saying is that increased money supply to peoples pockets with less goods to spend it on is inflationary which home refinances had a part in.

Trump started printing money first.

I would say the first stimulus was necessary given what was happening.

The second stimulus came too lateā€¦people were starting to recover.

The third stimulus likely was not needed.

1 Like