In My Opinion we're in the middle of modern day book burning

Of course, the side that needs to lie to make the statue and the history fit their ideology will find it easier to destroy the statue and remove the reminder that spurs a retelling of the truth they struggle to counter with their lies.

You do know that many of the statues were erected to rewrite history according to the Lost Cause myth?

Esp one with an accurate description of the surrender at Appomattox.

That’s worth the price of the book.

Allan

So you are under the impression that “iconography” refers to words?

Are you talking about this one?

I was being sarcastic. I would have expected people to know that any country that has outlawed certain acts or objects can also have exceptions to their rule.

By the way, this also ignores something I mentioned earlier - despite Germany’s ban on Nazi iconography (disclaimer about the legal exception to the general ban), Germany still manages to remember its history. And some examples do exist… in museums, like the swastika painted on that fighter plane.

Do the US troops that helped pull down the Saddam statue are the equivalent of book burners. Ok.

2 Likes

Your continual weaseling and crawfishing is getting irritating.

The iconography in that picture would be the unit insignia pictured above the writing.

iconography

noun

Save Word

To save this word, you’ll need to log in.

ico·​nog·​ra·​phy | \ ˌī-kə-ˈnä-grə-fē \

plural iconographies

Definition of iconography

1 : the traditional or conventional images or symbols associated with a subject and especially a religious or legendary subject

2 : pictorial material relating to or illustrating a subject

3 : the imagery or symbolism of a work of art, an artist, or a body of art

4 : ICONOLOGY

There is no more iconic symbol/imagery of the Nazi Army than their uniforms which are displayed in numerous monuments which I have provided you links to.

Saddam was the living dictator who had just been deposed and was still hiding in Iraq when those statues came down.

But then you know that.

More weaseling and crawfishing and your own continued attempt to rewrite history right here in this thread.

You had no idea what it actually meant until I educated you on the law.

Now, let’s get back to what you keep dodging.

What is the confederate iconography you are equating to Nazi Iconography in Germany?

1 Like

The iconography in that picture would be the unit insignia pictured above the writing.

If you are thinking of a particular image, please link it directly.

There is no more iconic symbol/imagery of the Nazi Army than their uniforms which are displayed in numerous monuments which I have provided you links to.

You’re just counting their uniforms as iconography? Despite the fact that the law is about their symbols in particular? Would you have preferred that I have said "Germany has no Nazi symbols|?

There’s just a level of sickness that went into this act.

A World War II monument honoring hero’s who died defaced.

This is not protest, it’s not some honorable statement about racial equality…

It’s a mob of anarchism…the people performing these acts are criminals and need to be treated as such.

2 Likes

The point was that Nazi Germany has not forgotten its history and it’s prior misdeeds despite a dedicated and consisted effort to remove Nazi symbols/iconography/statutes/sculptures/artworks/etc. etc, except in very specific circumstances.

So, the fear that the U.S. will suddenly forget it’s history merely because it does the same with regards to Confederate statues, is unfounded. We have an entire country to compare to.

Likewise, the suggestion that the U.S. will forget its history due to a few statues being removed is dubious, considering that the reason those statues went up is to promote the pseudo-history of the Lost Cause.

1 Like

There is nothing stopping you explaining to someone the history as you believe it surrounding the person depicted in a statue. You have no way to verify the motive you ascribe to a statue’s being erected in the past. Pulling a statue down because you imagine a disquieting motive for it’s being erected is plain stupid.

1 Like

The first wave is right when the Lost Cause myth was being built up.

Speaking of not knowing history…

1 Like

Once again, read your own link which I have quoted for you repeatedly.

There is no specific Icon or Images banned under the law.

How often are you going to prove you haven’t even got a basic understanding of what you are arguing here?

Now again, what exactly is it in these statues that is the equivalent of “Nazi Iconography”?

Be specific because you have yet to even attempt to answer.

I not only know the history I posted it and specifically addressed when most of them went up.

You see, some anti-southern writer/academic invented the “Lost Cause Mythology” it must be true.

1 Like

Yet we’ve already established that Germany has not white washed it’s history of the Nazi era and hasn’t purged the country of statues and memorials honoring the Germans who died fighting for that cause.

Virtually everything you claimed here as fact has in fact been shown to be completely false.

Now once again.

What is the confederate iconography you are equating to Nazi Iconography in Germany?

A straight answer for a change would be refreshing.

Pulling a statue down because you imagine a disquieting motive for it’s being erected is plain stupid.

In some situations, thankfully, we know the motives behind the people erecting these statues.

Battle of Liberty Place Monument

McEnery and Penn having been elected governor and lieutenant-governor by the white people, were duly installed by this overthrow of carpetbag government, ousting the usurpers, Governor Kellogg (white) and Lieutenant-Governor Antoine (colored). United States troops took over the state government and reinstated the usurpers but the national election of November 1876 recognized white supremacy in the South and gave us our state.

1 Like

Yet we’ve already established that Germany has not white washed it’s history of the Nazi era

Except “white wash” implies that Germany has erased all hints of Nazi Germany. It hasn’t whitewashed it’s history, because it acknowledges it without the need to glorify it. So you’ve already changed the terms of the discussion by using a very specific term.

memorials honoring the Germans who died fighting for that cause.

My understanding of German war memories is that they are mourning those who died, not honoring them.