In My Opinion we're in the middle of modern day book burning

certainly is, and until the 13th amendment was passed, Delaware was still a slave state.

The south largely seceded over trade policy. Slavery was a factor in that it kept cost down on raw materials which the southern growers sought to capitalize on by selling their products in Europe, but they couldn’t, because of trade policies enacted to protect and enrich northern industrialists. The North entered the war because of the secession. Slavery was not a factor for them except as it could be used strategically to cause problems in southern states. The winners write the histories, thus the civil war became the “war to end slavery”, which of course, it was not. It did, but that’s not why it was fought.

Focus man. Focus.

mere conjecture.

The trade policies which led to secession would still have been enacted without slavery. The same arguments that led to secession would still have taken place.

It’s one of those pedantic attempts at pretending it’s not a distinction without a difference.

You want to hear another one? Ready for a laugh?

Person A: “America is a democracy.”

Person B: “OMG NO IT ISN’T, IT IS A REPUBLIC.”

Person A: "But a Republic is a type of democracy.

Person B: “I have spoken, republic.”

2 Likes

No, isn’t.

Some states even directly told us, in their articles of secession, that they were leaving the union in order to establish a nation that maintained slavery.

We don’t have to guess about this.

Not conjecture at all.

The Fugitive slave act of 1850 had more to do with driving a Political wedge Between the states than any trade deal ever did.

The Pinckney Gag rule had more to do with getting the Northern dough face Democrats out of office to be replaced by Radical Republicans than any trade deal.

The South had outsized political power from basically the beginning of the Republic until the Mid 1850’s. The second that there power became a true minority they took their ball and went home.

They did that to preserve the institution of slavery, because that was the basis for their entire economy.

Whoever told you that the major issue was trade with England was lying to you.

3 Likes

Doesn’t change my comment now does it. Libs said it was suppose to be thought provocative.

1 Like

If anyone wants to learn the fascinating history of Congress leading up to the war I would suggest the very good but seriously dry book “The Field of Blood”

This is the book where I learned that the only Congressman killed by another Congressman in a duel is buried a couple of towns over

He has a pretty modest grave.

1 Like

Follow the thread…

1 Like

Libs here claimed the statues their tearing down was honoring those racist…but a man that is responsible for deaths of tens of millions of people is thought provocative.

So which is it? Thought provocative or moralizing em?

2 Likes

I’m tired of this.

Everyone knew the Nazis were there.

They ORGANIZED the protest.

2 Likes

Who Lenin?

If the statue is on private property… I have no say about it.

If it is on public property… I do.

wow… “everyone knew…”

not an expert on logical fallacies but I’m sure that is one.

Doesn’t matter…follow the conversation.

It’s not hard.

All what you’re doing is justifying your hyprocricy.

Are those statues moralizing those they represent of is it thought provocative…take your pick?

1 Like

I am not justifying anything.

If someone wants to have it private property they are allowed to do so.

I can still think that someone is a ■■■■■■■ for doing it, but there is no recourse to have it removed

Because… you know… private property

So we to assume…statue on private property is thought provocative but the same statue on public property is moralizing them.

Is that correct libs?

1 Like

Both can be terrible statues.

The one on public property can be removed by Majority consensus of the citizenry or by their representatives in government

Agreed…but is that being done?

So tell me how are they…meaning mob rule any different then mob burning books in first half of 20th century?

1 Like

I don’t support those who are pulling them down.

I understand why they are doing it, but I think that they are hurting their cause more than helping.

But yet you pushed the double standard on Lenin statue.

Like I said…the mob that’s doing it are no different then book burners.

2 Likes