In My Opinion we're in the middle of modern day book burning

don’t need to guess about anything. I said slavery was A reason, it was. There were other reasons which likely would have led to dissolution with or without slavery.

The Lenin statue is on private property.

If a Confederate statue was on private property I would feel the same way.

No double standard at all.

1 Like

So what. We have libs here sayig those statues where moralizing…but if those same statues were on private property it’s though provocative.

Can you they’re hyprocrits?

2 Likes

I can only speak for myself.

Statues that are on private property are not subject to the same scrutiny as statues on public property.

This isn’t really hard to understand

2 Likes

Didn’t say England, I said Europe, I also didn’t say it was “the” issue, just as slavery was not “the” issue. There were a lot of issues, trade policy and slavery among them. Both of which were big issues at the time. The same declarations of secession which cite slavery also cite these other grievances. Slavery was part of the basis for the southern economy, trade law was too. If southern growers had been allowed to sell raw products overseas instead of being forced to sell them to northern industrialists for a pittance of what they could have gotten then their “economies” would have been more prosperous. Perhaps slavery could have gone out with a whimper instead of a bang. The northern states were anti slavery (rightfully so!), they wanted to end it, and then they instituted trade policies which guaranteed it must continue for their sources of raw materials to remain economically viable. This is not to say that anyone in the south was arguing to end slavery, they weren’t. Just conjecture of my own. Makes me wonder, the north, which mostly was against slavery, put through trade policies which made it economically nonviable to end, at the same time they pursued policies with new territories that guaranteed it would. The south was put into a situation where it could not survive no matter what it did. Seems to me, the better course would have been to allow the south an “out” so they could end slavery and still survive economically. Then again, perhaps it was incumbent on the southern states to devise and propose the “out” for themselves.

The reason.

We’re all ears.

try being all eyes. I’ve already stated a few of them.

Ones that wouldn’t have lead to mass secession, nor war, without slavery.

You are correct…

Personally I think it’s disgusting.

The people destroying monuments…burning businesses…taking over parts of a major city…

They aren’t conservatives in MAGA hats.

We just experienced a terrible weekend of violence…I hope you all enjoyed your preview if the Biden Presidency…cause left wingers and Democrats are supporting this ■■■■■

1 Like

you’re entitled to your opinion, wrong as it may be.

mississippi secesion declaration
A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union.

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

georgia

The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property, and by the use of their power in the Federal Government have striven to deprive us of an equal enjoyment of the common Territories of the Republic. This hostile policy of our confederates has been pursued with every circumstance of aggravation which could arouse the passions and excite the hatred of our people, and has placed the two sections of the Union for many years past in the condition of virtual civil war. Our people, still attached to the Union from habit and national traditions, and averse to change, hoped that time, reason, and argument would bring, if not redress, at least exemption from further insults, injuries, and dangers. Recent events have fully dissipated all such hopes and demonstrated the necessity of separation.

the the other states are similar.

then theres the cornerstone speech.

and teh north entered teh war because teh south attacked it

Horse ■■■■■

Anarchy…attempted mob rule…lawlessness in some of our biggest liberal run cities.

Self correction my ass.

2 Likes

tear down every confederate statue.
burn every confederate flag
treat everyone supporting the flag or the statues with the same disdain reserved for those that support nazis or white supremacists

Secession - prime motivator for the war.

I am focused. There are good people on both sides. Who stayed.

No it isn’t.

What did Lincoln say?

Perhaps, perhaps not. States were a bigger deal then than the central government.

LOL, you took the two most egregious parts, post them and say the others are similar. typical.

Next time try posting the whole document instead of exerpts and you can see the other reasons for yourself… of course that wouldn’t support your argument.

Virginia’s doesn’t even mention it. Texas lists the failure to aid in the territorial defense of Texas from outside invasions first and foremost. The other 7 states issued no declarations and declaring slavery as “the” reason is mere conjecture. Of the four that did declare, 1 doesn’t mention it, and one mentions it only after the other grievances.

It was A reason, not THE reason

1 Like

so pretty much treat it the same way liberals treat the American flag… okay.