I'm jumping in with both feet . . . . wish me luck . .

I know it sounds the opposite of what your body is telling you but it’s easier to get the hang of it with more speed and room. Balance is tricky when it’s almost stopped

1 Like

Have fun man!

You are going to find out that riding that one wheeler is going to give you a decent core workout. If you want to advance on it, do some low impact core training - planks, and what not. or some Yoga would be perfect…

Keep us posted. Looks super fun!

1 Like

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!

I used a metaphor and humour.

Everyone grab your emotional support iguana and run for the safe space.

You seem upset, have a cookie.

Time for some speed runs! Honestly though, a little speed will make balancing easier.

Nope :rofl:

A lot of what I’m practicing is stopping and doin the “heal” lift to disengage the motor. Also the rolling backward to let the back drop and motor turn off. along with the two foot jump off. Can’t do those at speed :smiley: Gotta master the basics before you move on.

1 Like

Word I would use is hell of a core workout.

Yes balance is easier at faster speeds. But there are a lot of things you need to master at a slower speed. Example, Heal turn. Those are a bitch and I don’t want to try and run out the fall at a faster speed. Toe turn I’ve got down.

Cool. Looks like snowboarding. If they could figure out a way to put a ball instead of a wheel, it’d be identical to snowboarding.

It does kind of look like snowboarding. It seems it may be harder though in terms of balance. The amount of surface touching the ground seems substantially smaller.

The inventor is a snowboarder who wanted to snowboard year round.

1 Like

I started snowboarding so I could waterski without a boat. Even at the price, this would have been much cheaper.

1 Like

Wooohooo
9 days of learning and practicing and finally hit 1 mile in riding distance.

2 Likes

When your just learning this thing . . . 6 mph is a bit terrifying.

Okay

I know ya’ll want to bust a gut laughing at me as I fall.

So here it is. The scuffing up of the wrist guards, the knee pads, and an elbo pad . . . followed by how I look after 15 days of practice and patience.

Yea I screwed up in the video says 5 days later, but it was 15 days after the crash that I’m on a bike path.

1 Like

Well done!

Thanks for sharing!

I did some “off roading” with the onewheel — grass at the park. Doing that something clicked in my brain (well a partial click anywho).

Did 1.6 miles today on roads and the bike path. Couple of gutters (at intersections) didn’t even bother me.

And almost hit 8 mph hour today (I’ve lost my mind . . . I need to keep slow so I can “run out” any head drop on a crack or bump or that.

1 Like

Riding ability? It’s nothing more than a self propelled skateboard. If you can ride a skateboard then that thing should be easy. In my youth I’ve gone a lot faster downhill on a regular skateboard than that guy in the video.

BTW, I just saw one of these by my house on route 9. I initially thought it was just a dude on a skateboard until I noticed he never put his foot down and wasn’t slowing up.

Roller blades would be a closer equivalent. I can go stand on a skateboard, put one foot down and push and not have to worry about 4 ways of balance (heel/toe balance head/tail balance). This thing works your core muscles (belly and back) to the max. On pavement/cement I feel it in my calf muscles and on the grass my thigh muscles get a work out.

The one I ride, the motor essentially shuts down at 16MPH (because of how much I weigh I won’t get that kind of speed out of it). The bigger one goes 20 MPH. These arn’t made for speed (boosted boards leave the Onewheel in their dust). They are more of a all in one board – pavement/concrete, grass, dirt, trail riding.

Watching video’s, there are some good riders that from the time they start out, to the time they get off at work . . . they don’t put a foot down once. They can balance perfect at stop lights and that. They have my respect. I still look like an idiot everytime I have to stop.

1 Like