Illegal immigration and minimum wage

You don’t have to pay illegals the minimum wage. They don’t have paper work. That’s why it’s a perfect one, two to make the working poor poorer. Price them out of the market and make illegals more attractive to hire.

Next they will pass regulations to make building harder thus decrease building activity and increase rents. Yes, they will build the poverty of Cal all across the nation.

I would rather we do away with both the minimum wage and social safety nets.

Wouldn’t that turn them into indentured servants? I don’t get the connection.

How do you get to indentured servitude? Does doing away with social safety nets and minimum wage do away with voluntary nature of an employment agreement between worker and owner?

Indentured servitude is voluntary.

Why do social safety nets give rise to a need for min wage?

Here’s where things are now practically speaking. Many of the types of jobs that these illegal immigrants came across the border to do are currently gone and will not be coming back soon and maybe never. The restaurant and hotel industries are two that come to my mind. Couple that with the fact that many Americans are unemployed means America does not need people to fill these low skilled type jobs. Now that’s not going to stop people from Central and South America (and anywhere else from that matter) from trying to come here. Furthermore the current economic realities will not in any way alter the Open Borders Democrats from not crying for any and all to come here. Only time will tell what happens.

How does doing away with minimum wage make indentured servitude legal?

Social safety nets give rise to the minimum wage because once you set a minimal standard of living, someone has to pay for it. I would rather the people hiring them pay for it instead of me.

I didn’t say it did.

I don’t think I agree that min wage sets a standard of living at all.

Maybe because unemployed people can’t afford to live in Seattle and have to live elsewhere?

It’s what is used as the reason for it or haven’t you heard the term living wage?

Yeah, I’ve heard it. A lot.

“Living” means different things to different people at different times in their lives.

Sure, doesn’t change the fact that it is the reason people use for having one. Which is why I say only local ones make any sense.

I don’t disagree with local.

The excuse for it has evolved over time.

A lot of assumptions here. First it sounds like the OP is thinking that the illegal immigration problem is only at the southern border. It was reported that Trump was told that since 2007 more illegal immigrants come here by other ways then the border and overstay their visas. He didn’t believe it and therefore nothing new was done to solve that problem.
Second is the notion that everyone coming here illegally do not speak English and have no skills.

So far I have not heard of any plans to change any pre-Trump immigration laws or procedures.
And during the Obama years more illegal immigrants left the US then came in. And that was because there were not the jobs available post the great depression.

1 Like

I haven’t heard one person on the right that doesn’t want people who overstay their visa gone as well. Immigration is one thing the general conservative is fairly united on we want the immigration laws enforced. The only people on the right for illegal immigration are the ones who exploit cheap labor for their personal or company gains.

Immigration laws aren’t broke don’t need reformed just enforced. Obama enforced them his first four years in power…

Did you read your own argument? :sunglasses:

Not accurate.

Then you aren’t paying attention.

Why presume a person fleeing their country cannot speak English or have training?

Only habitual monolinguists I know are Americans. Also, the only group of people, anywhere, who have pot-head as their vocation are Americans.

Care to expand?