Illegal immigration and minimum wage

Find the people who hire undocumented labor, throw them in jail and seize their property.

WRONG. They closed because they could not afford the cost of doing business, which includes your labor. Its why, until covid- there were a NET GAIN of companies (and jobs) over the last 7 years in Seattle that relies on min wage labor (Like Hospitality). The fact that some business closed and others took their spot and succeeded tells me that the issue was not regulation, that the new business also must have.

And I already anwered your very poor, badly worded question. Sticklng it in bold doesn’t change my answer.

How can that be! That is 2.2% LOWER Then the national unemployment rate??
Cleveland Ohio has roughly the same amount of people in roughly the same size but min wage is only $8.70, yet their unemployment is 5.8.

It is the purview of Government to sometimes get involved for the general welfare of the people, the result of which may involve business to plan.

Getting rid of Child Labor laws, Creating workplace safety rules, and requiring food to meet healthy standards all cost business more money and required them to plan.

They already force them to pay minimum wage.

Allan

Pfft, I was doing it at ten years old for a quarter a bushel.

1 Like

I walked 15 miles to school when I was young, barefooted.

Allan

1 Like

You don’t think kids were doing agricultural labor in the sixties? I can assure you we were. I picked tomatoes for heinz, I cut cabbage for my grandfather. Kept me in pop and comic books. As far as menial labor goes, it wasn’t that bad, have done far harder ones.

But I realize being able to work outside is a foreign concept to some.

1 Like

You implied it.

53 million people in this country speak Spanish - more than Spain or Colombia.

And they learn to communicate very quickly. It’s not a problem.

Will they now? Do we want our kids picking cabbage?

No, we don’t want kids to do it, but adult Americans will, if you pay them enough. Why should agriculture be exempt from that basic labor market principle?

Is “paying them enough” not what the min wage to $15 all about? Do you support that?

Because you won’t pay $10 for a head of cabbage.

Of course I would pay ten dollars for a head of cabbage and have. Back when I lived on the Island of Barbados. That is roughly what they are paying for one in Hawaii right now.

https://shop.foodland.com/shop/fruits_and_vegetables/fresh_vegetables/brussels_sprouts_and_cabbage/green_cabbage_head/p/12435

People will pay what food costs, because, they have to eat.

As for supporting federal minimum wage, no, because cost of living varies widely. I support local minimums.

1 Like

$15 per hour in Oklahoma isn’t the same as $15 in Los Angeles, which is why a federal standard is problematic and will absolutely crush non-coastal areas. Based on the article below, many states are already making adjustments while others are trending to do so. Congressional fiat isn’t needed.

Obviously allowing migrants in during a devastated economy makes zero since so many businesses went under during all the lockdowns roughly 100,000 small businesses are gone now. Beijing Biden is going to rip up the H1B limits as well, anyone working with a company that outsource and insources from India this is bad for as well.

Not science here, basic supply and demand a ton of Americans are out of work now from covid.

Will they?

Why? Why allow the gov to get involved in any way?

Looking at history, a sub society seems necessary to success.

Because of social safety nets, they aren’t going away. And because of them, I end up paying if the company won’t. I’d rather we do away with both.

I don’t understand.