Illegal immigration and minimum wage

.3 seconds google

Maybe you missed it but Seattle’s unemployment is 2.2%

4.4% below the national average

Statistics, I don’t assume it of individuals.

Thanks for the link. I missed that, and so stand corrected. I wonder why it took him over two years to do something?

Show, don’t tell…?

You want oil on canvas or interpretive dance?

You claimed ‘statistics’. So, those.

Already did. Overstay rates waiver vs non-waiver, almost four fold increase.

Well _Seattle population is growing and low unemployment. Usually when people cant afford to live in a area anymore you see negative population growth or less business opening due to shortage of cheap labor. But you are not seeing that in Seattle.

So while anything is a possibility -the most likely answer is probably the most accurate. The min wage did not reduce job growth nor did it reduce the number of small business that rely on inexpensive labor.

That doesn’t address the post you quoted, and ‘na-ah, yes it does!’ just won’t do.

Reminder:

“Why presume a person fleeing their country cannot speak English or have training?”

So, the statistics?

Let’s take this a step further. Typically a temporary worker - college student, etc. - starts at the bottom while working their way through college. High turnover because the jobs are meant to be temporary starter jobs. Over time some number of these work their way up through the ranks, increasing their pay to $15 an hour over the course of a few years. Fast forward, and we see some of these moving into supervisory or management positions earning $25 an hour or more.

Unfortunately we have some number of those who decide to homestead permanently in these low skill temporary jobs, fully expecting to make a living wage.

Now enter the LIBs who believe everyone should make a living wage, no matter their skill level or job.

So they naively believe all they have to do is artificially raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour - almost double what it is today.

Sooooooooooo…

Now we see more low skilled workers homestead in these temporary jobs and that pretty much kills them for college students working their way through college.

So what happens to all of those workers who have worked their way up to $15 over the course of time? Should they continue to work for $15 when, someone fresh off the street will make exactly the same? Of course not. They would fully expect their pay to go up proportionately. And of course we can’t forget about all of those workers up and down the chain. All of them will expect to see their pay increased as well.

So how does this all play out?

Well you know that those at the very bottom will suffer the most, as they will become unemployable. Automation, improvewd productivity, etc. will ensure they never have access to a $15 minimum wage job - because they simply will not exist in the long term.

The underemployment is high here, a lot of people working less hours. I know our company alone let go around half of its IT staff and as of today had only hired back 10% of it. It’s like that in a lot of the sectors with the exception being Microsoft and Amazon.

The restaurant and hotel sectors has been pulverized here like everywhere else I wouldn’t trust for a second employment numbers rolled out at under 5%.

1 Like

Well, we have automated kiosks here everywhere from McDonalds to grocery stores and fine Walmarts. And all of those institutions are continuing to hire.

And it seems to me many native borns—particularly in my part of the U S, can’t speak for anyone else’s—reject jobs that have odd day/hours schedules or hazard duty. Most likely those minimally and unskilled migrating from south of the border will do those jobs like office cleaning on the midnight shift that they’ve always done.

And ya know what? With many native borns bragging about Unemployment checks and unwilling to do jobs that pay under a certain amount & those who won’t accept jobs that are anything but Monday through Friday bankers’ hours, we’ve put ourselves into a position to accept those desperate to get out of countries with gang activity, extortion and violence:

Here are some jobs immigrant workers are more likely to fill:

Sure. But I was looking at info in Jan of 2020. We can all agree that underemployment, layoffs and the devastation that hospitality has faced is not due to min wage. Its due to the pandemic.

2019 Was Seattle’s Lowest Year of Growth in Last Decade

Well I never said nor do I assume such so I am unsure what you want from me or why you want it.

You know the real reason right? Union contracts are typically x wage shall be y amount over minimum. Increase the minimum, increase all union salaries. Who do unions vote for and finance?

from The Union Minimum Wage Windfall: California’s $15 hourly rate will put money in labor’s pockets, no collective bargaining required. - Employment Policies Institute

Past union contracts available from the Labor Department’s Office of Labor-Management Standards contained language setting members’ wages to a certain percentage or dollar amount above the current minimum wage.

That is the real reason democrats are for higher minimums, not the one percent of adults who get stuck in a minimum wage jb for over a year. Nice fat pay boost, no collective bargaining required.

And just like during the European migrant crisis the vast vast majority when they zoom the cameras out are young men, but the media seems to go out and find a few women with children and put them on their front page as if it represents what’s coming here in the caravans.

BBC today

CNN today

The same caravan today when camera zoomed out

People are not falling for it anymore, people who are not legally blind can see for themselves who’s coming which is young men 16-30 years of age.

1 Like

Full-time work, no matter what it is, should be able to fully support an individual without welfare subsidies. Calling it a “temporary starter job” just diminishes an honest day’s work.

Nothing will happen. They’ll be as passive as they were when they made $7.25 an hour. If American laborers could demand something like this in significant numbers, then they would have done so already–when full-time labor still left them dependent on welfare.