If trade wars are easy to win

The US gets like 80 percent of it’s rare Earth’s from China. Spooling up our own sources to cover that need is not a quick process. Being cutoff is certainly not cheap for that duration and would hit just about every critical piece of the US economy.

Again that’s the problem of putting all your eggs in one basket.

Those that celebrate China rare earth materials is also celebrating their mining practices.It’s not pretty from my understanding.

No one “celebrates” them; their accessibility and distribution on the planet is not something we can change by being “great again”.

Where is all this celebrating happening?

The last time China use rare earth materials as a weapon Japan went searching for their own. And they found one if not largest deposit yet to date. In it’s own waters.

Now the question is how to mine it in environmental friendly way. Need to do more research.

Also I seen someplace the mine in Cal has started producing again because of tariffs.

United states or any other free nation shouldn’t allow itself to be hold hostage by China.

Which countries should allow us to hold them hostage?

Break even means a tariff is what is used to make a product made in our country which costs $15 to produce comparable in price to the same product made in a foreign country where it costs them $2 to produce.

Any less than that and the industry will relocate to the foreign country over time.

Any more than that and it’s just punitive.

No. I’m not a free trade supporter. That’s a good way to lose your economy to the third world. I’m also not in favor of using tariff as some sort of club to whack other countries with.

I don’t think you’re familiar with how this works. Your post is internally inconsistent.

1 Like

I am completely against Trump’s harmful tariffs. But I also blame Congress for these tariffs. The Congress over the last many years has been guilty of giving the President too much power.

That seems to be the trend, lock the congress in a never ending posture of “no compromise”, and let the President escalate their power in it’s place.

If you think so then it isn’t me that isn’t familiar with things. There’s no inconsistency.

Whatever you say.

Maybe I missed it among all his other boasts.

Did Trump say it would be easy?

Yes, he did.

When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win. Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore-we win big. It’s easy!
-Donald J. Trump
Tweeter in Cheif

OK. Thanks.

Wow…

Easy and good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/969525362580484098

Winning??

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOXLA/status/1134665393149104129