How Picky Are YOU?

Im not a big fan of oatmeal, (which is a shame because it is the perfect food for camping, backpacking etc.) but I do like granola.

Maybe one day I’ll invent a savory granola, salty not sweet.

I’m 60+ years old and still like Gerber Mixed Cereal. Granted with lotsa sugar. It’s my treat 1-2 times a year.

Well I certainly don’t have the nutritional needs of a long distance backpacker, (that’s how certain foods came onto my radar)
but they need lotsa iron, lotsa protein and lots and lots of calories, carbs preferred but even salad dressing will do. They need that in compact & lightweight form and they need to replenish from whatever is sold at a gas station.

(Except for the gas station part, hikers, armies, mountain climbers, campers etc face similar challenges.)

Their main foods are oatmeal, raisins and peanuts, plus sunflower seeds if they have enough $$.

More for me! :man_dancing:

I love liver. Beef liver skillet fried with onions. Deep fried chicken livers. Yum!

I loved November hog butchering day out on the farm. Long day, lots of cold work. The smells, lots of wood smoke from keeping the cauldron boiling for boiled water to blanch the hide of the hogs to make it easier to scrape off the pig stubble.

Later the fire under the cauldron would be stoked up again to render down all the heavy fat and to cook up the chitlins.

Yum!

The one thing that I can probably stand that most people can’t is probably spinich.

You’ve been there Lou
I knew I liked you for some reason:)

You’ve been there Lou.
I knew I liked you for some reason:)

Head cheese? Good stuff, ate gobs of it when I was young. Doesn’t look all that pretty. But who sees it on a sandwhich? Haven’t run across any in a long time.

How about fried pig brain? Not my fave, but doable.

Now blood sausage, that was one of my favorites, made with the pigs blood. A great dish with flapjack’s or eggs.

I’ve eaten a lot of Head Cheese. It makes a great sandwich with hot mustard. It was also called Souse. I haven’t seen it in years.
I’ve had pig and calf brains both in scrambled eggs.
Never had any blood sausage. I’ve heard of it though.

I remember when I was young 50+ years ago and loved watching the Popeye cartoons. My mother bought a can of spinach…ewwwww. Yet hubby LOVES it! Go figure!

:point_up: That thing right there. :point_up:

Clams steamed, not raw.

Clams, as long as they’re not over-cooked, there is no way to cook 'em wrong.

Same with oysters …

Love steamed clams dipped in butter. Love oysters raw or fried. For some reason I don’t like mussels though.

That’s not really odd.

Oysters scare a lot of people, but flavorwise oysters and clams have a reputation for succulence (a yummy delicate deliciousity from Neptune’s garden), whereas mussels reputation is a nice seafoody change of pace but “nothing special.”

Where should I start? Cake, candy, chocolate, cookies, ice cream. Just sugar in general. The only thing I’ll eat fried are French fries and chicken, things like funnel cake, corn dogs, or zepolies (spelling?) is a no go. The smell alone drives me away.

Zero fish products and I won’t even try sushi. I will not eat rare, medium rare, anything rare. True story, I almost got sick at a Ruth’s Chris steakhouse just by glancing at someone else’s steak at a different table.

I basically live on bacon cheeseburgers, steak, tacos, meatball or chicken parm, pizza, or anything pasta without that nasty cheese people grind. Oh yeah, I love French fries. I use ketchup for two things only, fries and cheeseburgers. I don’t mind cooked onions on a sausage/peppers/onions sandwich. Raw onions, not a fan. I could go on but what’s the point?

I think you are almost as picky as me. I lean towards meat and cheese. Don’t like much seasoning except salt/pepper. I like a mild onion flavor, but like you, don’t like raw onions. I’ve never ever used ketchup.

Brussels sprouts are small cabbages. They are a cultivar of the cabbage (same species) Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflour, kale, collard greens, kohlrabi are all in the same species, but different cultivars.

Mustard greens are a different (but closely related) species.