How Biden and AOC can lead the way on climate change

Since we’re playing dodgeball. I’ll keep throwin and you keep dodgin.

What sacrifices would you like to see congress make for climate change? The A/C thing and the electric car thing is a no brainer. Right?

Your car does not rely on tar sand oil being piped in from Canada either.

thats not an answer

how much will it cost?

whats the benefit?

Do you know what it runs on? You want me to tell you? Or can you solve this mystery by yourself Sherlock?

Gas. Now try explaining why your car needs tar sand oil to be piped in when the actual supply remains unchanged

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t4:

Your question has been answered.

Multiple times. You just refuse to accept them because people won’t send the conversation in the direction you want.

Like precisely what happens in every single one of your threads. You play this game like no one here has ever been in one of your threads before.

Now…do you want to stop playing and have a real discussion?

Then answer my questions.

For once, have a real discussion.

For once, stop playing games.

As I already mentioned, collective action is how problems like climate change are addressed. Some people are impressed by empty symbolism, but it doesn’t do anything.

This is like “Congress should have to live with Obamacare too!”, poster finds out that Congress is required to purchase insurance on the ACA exchanges, that conflict may with what radio told them and they don’t believe and keep carping about it, starting a new thread on the exact same thing every couple of months or so.

I don’t really care what Congress does individually because it’s meaningless.

Yes, it is but I will expand. (I thought it was obvious)

As fleet cars age out, they will be replaced by electric cars when feasible. So the cost isn’t that high except for the incremental cost of electric vs gas cars which is partially offset by savings in fuel/charge and maintenance.

Benefit? Less ICE engines on the road leads to less pollution. Leading by example.

i like less pollution. but thats not whats driving these policies because cars nowadays are already very clean.

and i have.a feeling the cost is not “incremental” nor offset by fuel costs

Yes, they are. You know what is even cleaner? Electric cars.

Electric cars generally cost more than ICE cars. That increase in cost is what I mean by “incremental”. Luckily, that incremental cost keeps getting smaller.

I’m sorry, I did not mean to imply that the incremental cost of an electric car were completely offset by lower fuel and maintenance costs which is why I said “partially offset”.

Well I could be wrong, but I remember reading that they were fully offset, something like three years to get there.

I would like to see members adopt clean energy alternatives as they become viable and economically practical to do so. It would set a great example. Is that gonna happen overnight? Not a chance. But they should always be moving in that direction.

That’s interesting. Three years seems pretty fast but the price gap between electric and ICE has been narrowing over the years.

Within two years, there will be EVs that cost what ICE cars cost. The costs of building them are going down every year…we are very near an EV tipping point.

I would argue, we already are. If I were in the market for a new car I would buy electric, I don’t expect ICE to hold their value as well, especially if gas prices increase again. But there are too many really good vintage cars on my list of cars I want, so I don’t think I’ll ever be in that market again.

So if this is true, Biden’s directive to switch the govt fleet to electric makes economic sense too. @thinkingman do you now support Biden’s directive in light of this?

Here’s where we will hear how they take too long to charge and dirty lithium mining and not enough range and whatever other thing they can think about to show EVs are impossible.

1 Like

not till i see an actual cost breakdown

because the offset in ICE pollution is not worth the taxpayer expense

esp since they are already paying tax surcharges on cleaner fuel, lower emissions, etc

Paying surcharges to prop up fossil fuels…good.

Paying surcharges to allow EVs to compete with propped up fossil fuels…bad.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes