Hegemony in the US

What does ‘democracy’ have to do with race?

Yeah, good post.

I am also trying to untangle this…is the premise that currently the “white” race are the deciders?

and if not them then what race will be and who decides?

But there it is. You and I might not respond to such provocations, but we know that others in our country will.

And this goes to my objection to what Carlson is doing. As an example, 100 years ago, this country was very hostile to Catholics. These days, nobody cares, they are some among many.

So who decides? The culture and body politic, as the people (whoever they are), integrate into the country, and become part of the culture and body politic.

What Carlson is doing is using the language and concepts of racism to stir up resentment and hatred of the ‘other’. To wit: brown people are trying to replace you white people.

Does this make Carlson racist? I don’t know. However, I do know he is using racist concepts to advance his argument.

2 Likes

I agree with this.

But you can’t forget what TV Man says. He is influencing millions of people. Like it or not, but people care about TV Man, and like what he says. His thought process is insidious, and will lead to more White Supremacists.

Pay no attention to those speaking to millions…cause TV man :crazy_face:

1 Like

Fine. But as I just posted, Carlson is using the tools and language of racists to advance his argument.

I saw a pretty racist video today where a kid got bullied out of a study hall for quietly doing her homework on a laptop that had a police lives matter sticker on it. Her whiteness was very offensive to them.

Ironically, the racist morons accused her of causing a scene. :rofl:

3 Likes

People like to poke/troll. In this case poking the racists. Admittedly the shouldn’t, it just provokes the racists. But at the same time, it’s not like the racists aren’t paying attention to demographic changes.

Oddly enough, pushback is to be expected. You can’t just demonize people based on their skin color without it. :man_shrugging:

Never forget how calculated some of these actors are.

1 Like

You are trapped in your terms. Somebody has to be hegemonic.

If you choose race as your identity criteria, then one race will have hegemony.

If you choose race as your discriminator in this country, who else would it be?

You can’t do anything about that.

Which one?

Which is who chosen how?

Which concepts?

There’s nothing you can do about that. This is pretty much the inevitable result of the focus on race for the past 200 years; which continues today.

What are you going to do about it?

As is everyone on the other side.

Calling them “racists” feeds the machine.

So just ignore it? Let the influence grow, allowing more and more people to think like that.

Agitation will feed the machine, sure. But it can also lead to a better future, eg. MLK and the Civil Rights.

You don’t “allow” people to think like anything.

3 Likes

Better is never better for everyone. It’s always worse for some.

During that era, the system was racist. It is not anymore. Hasn’t been for about two generations now.

Yet here we are.

Where does it end?

1 Like