Great news from California!

Given an alternative, no one would have. Given a choice, you’re not going to travel through a state that’s 10 dollars a gallon over 3 or 4 dollars a gallon.

1 Like

A heat wave threatened rolling blackouts, but they want everyone in an EV. Even without the siphoning idea, where are they going in the summer? What does the threat of rolling blackouts turn into when thousands of people want to charge on a 250kw charger at the same time?

2 Likes

I’ve yet to meet a progressive that understands mathematics, which is probably why “Math is racist” is now an educational movement.

2 Likes

I’m already paying over $4/gal … and that’s with an 8 cent per gallon State tax.

This is what I’m saying. I live in NJ. If NY was the only state around me that had 10 dollar a gallon gas, I’m not travelling to NY. Or if I do, I’m getting out before I need gas.

Before they raised the gas tax like 30 cents here, people were known to stop and fill up in NJ before leaving the state to Penn, NY, or Delaware. And that was only saving around a buck a gallon.

More madness from California. Since they are making much less on the gas tax, they are testing a pilot program to charge people .30 a mile. That number has to be wrong. That goes far beyond any gas tax you’d be paying. That would cost me around 90 bucks a week to get to work. Currently I pay about $4.75 in gas tax to go to work and back all week.

Probably not. They really dont want citizens driving, and most Democrat policies are designed to impoverish.

4 Likes

Physician, heal thyself.

You brought up EVs.

I think it’s a typo. It should read $0.03 per mile.

“The state estimates that drivers rack up a combined 350 billion miles per year in California, and most of those are in gasoline or diesel vehicles. Raising the gas tax would only be a short-term solution as vehicles increasingly become more fuel-efficient or no longer needed to be gassed up, since California has also mandated that all new-vehicle sales must be ZEV by 2035. While a rate per mile hasn’t been set, the project is potentially looking at between US$0.02 and $0.04 cents per mile”

California considering per-mile Road Charge to replace gas taxes | Driving.

1 Like

That makes a lot more sense. No way can it be 30 cents a mile. That said, I don’t think a pilot program would tell the whole story. Even if it worked out to be cheaper, people might tend to drive less if they are paying by the mile. If you drive less, you’ll probably spend less. I can’t imagine that being good for the economy.

1 Like

Give it another four years of inflation, it probably will end up as $0.30 a mile.

3 Likes

Yep. And in your anecdote above, even at only 2 cents per mile your 300-mile weekly commute would cost more than what you currently pay in fuel tax.

Perhaps, but that would not be due to inflation. That would simply be government raising your taxes.

Maybe they should put the tax on tires.

Drive more? You’ll wear out your tires sooner. Taxes when you replace them.

And EVs, being heavier than their gas-guzzling cousins, wear out tires faster.

Tire micro-particles are a pollutant that our eco-warriors tend to overlook.

Seventy-eight percent of ocean microplastics are synthetic tire rubber, according to one estimate.

There is already a tax on tires.

Here’s one I hadn’t heard of:

"New York City is set to implement congestion pricing on June 30, touting it as a way to unclog traffic-prone streets and improve public transportation infrastructure.

The MTA board voted to approve a congestion pricing plan that imposes a $15 base fare for cars entering Manhattan south of 60th Street — and completed a four-month public comment period in mid-March."

Well aren’t we talking about an additional tax now? No reason the state couldn’t add an extra tax for that.

Regarding a tire tax, in Colorado we have a “disposal fee” for the old tires when you buy new ones.

We have giant mountains of discarded tires around the state. The fee is supposed to help address the disposal of those tires. A previous governor took the balance in the fund to balance the budget. His maneuver triggered a suit, and it went all the way to the CO Supreme Court. And the court allowed him to do that.

So people pay for tire-dump cleanup, but the state can rob it to balance the budget, and the tires continue to pile up. (A tire dump fire is a bugger to extinguish, BTW, which was the impetus for the disposal fee in the first place.)

And no doubt they will.

Ironically, it is the chemicals in the rubber that increase tire life that are polluting the water. If they eliminate the chemicals to clean the water, we will be wearing out our tires twice as fast. That works out nicely for the “tax tires” governments.

1 Like