Government shutdown. Does anybody really care?

It will not be needed. Aren’t they supposed to start their lengthy Christmas break this coming Friday? Do you think congress will be willing to give up a minute of their vacation?

:rofl:

Are you predicting that Congress will put a bill funding the border wall in front of Trump before the 21st?

Nope. Remember, Vacation time!!!

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.

What do you expect to happen?

I don’t expect anything what so ever to happen that would put their precious vacation time at risk. So the extra popcorn that Orygun ordered for December will not be needed. Beyond that, I have no idea what to expect.

Well, there are a few options.

1. Congress puts a spending bill in front of Trump without funding for the wall, and Trump signs it.
  2. Congress puts a spending bill in front of Trump without funding for the wall and he doesn’t sign it.
  3. Congress puts a spending bill in front of Trump with funding for the wall, and he signs it.
  4. Congress puts a spending bill in front of Trump with funding for the wall, and he doesn’t sign it.
  5. Congress fails to pass a spending bill.

Which of those do you think is most likely?

Trump will cave. A clean CR will be passed soon. All other options are terrible for the GOP.

1 Like

That’s where I’d put my money.

Yep, the wall is dead… the only question remaining is how long Trump might be willing to close the government before he is forced to capitulate or is overridden by congress…

1 Like

OK, but what if a democrat …

1 Like

There is a part of me who would like to see that, since it really would not affect me, but I would not want to see that done to govt employees, especially our Armed Forces. It just isn’t right.

GO, Nancy!!

I thought conservatives hated government shutdowns?

5.Congress fails to pass a spending bill.

I have children in the military and they will still get paid. And if they aren’t smart enough to save a little of their cash for emergencies there is a fund just for situations like this. All they have to do is go to their commander and they will get advanced the cash to pay the bills that need paid.

I don’t want you not to get paid. But this crap is always just for show. Both parties bloviate then agree on something a week or two later.

Don’t swallow that BS. Those government employees will get backpaid once the shutdown is over, just like the last ten or so times. How many private sector employees can say the same?

As for those cushy government contracts, perhaps a better business model is in order if everything comes to a grinding halt when the gravy train stops for a few months.

Which results in a shutdown… How long do you think congress will tolerate a shutdown? Remember, a shutdown does not affect the swearing in of new house representatives in January…

Fair point. But at this point I’m tired of making predictions. I’ll just wait and see.

Without knowing the answer I’ll ask: when a party gets blamed for a shutdown, how do they end up doing in terms of public opinion/subsequent elections?

I suspect there’s a reason each side’s media works overtime to assign blame to the opposition.

I care. As a DC Resident we get caught up in a federal shutdown and have public services like garbage removal stopped, despite paying local city taxes for the services.