GOP becoming "Cult-like"

Nailed it. Sanford’s only sin was to speak his mind in regards to Trump. To stand on principle and have the courage to speak truth to power. It is a weird conundrum that the GOP finds itself in. The cancer of Trump and Trumpism has been allowed to flourish for so long, that they have seemingly no choice but to push all in with the man. He has effectively taken over the party. I wonder at what point enough Republican voters, will also abandon the party as a result.

You’re right. These guys have the freedom to speak their minds now, as they have nothing to lose. But it just shows how little spine so many others have, that are still wanting to retain their own personal seats of power. They are placing Trump over all other things, including country.

I really like Blackburn on many issues. But she too is unwilling to stand up for her clear conservative principles, if it means crossing Trump. Which has me less enthused by her than before. She feels she needs his endorsement and support, so she acts in many ways like he is the new Reagan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-tennessee-marsha-blackburns-embrace-of-trump-tests-her-standing-with-female-voters/2018/05/28/174f085c-621b-11e8-a768-ed043e33f1dc_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1fdb22b4ef88

Also, RCP has Bredesen with a +5.0 advantage right now, although there has not been much really recent polling. So take that for what it is worth.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/tn/tennessee_senate_blackburn_vs_bredesen-6308.html#polls

Yeah, and Rs will be especially afraid to go against Trump now, after Sanford’s defeat yesterday. He lost because he’s a frequent Trump critic. It certainly wasn’t because he was too conservative for his district, as it is ruby red.

McConnell may do something after the midterms are over. Trump will have to be more cautious about throwing Rs under the bus, since he will be on the ballot with them in the next election.

I missed that. Thanks for sharing. This is why I really like Mr. Amash. I guess there may still be a few willing to say what is necessary to be said after all. Sasse is another one who has spoken out too. Which is good. We just need more.

1 Like

odd its like they were projecting that the left where a cult, while they have been this whole time…

Nothing like a big fat DUH to start your day huh corker? Theyve been like this for years…You made yourself rich off of it.

The GOP is becoming the new fascist party.

There you go projecting. I think on my own not from what talk radio or TV tell me to think. You get your marching orders from Hannity, Limbaugh, the wannabees and all the right wing pundits. They are your brain. Then you come running back to this board and pretty much repeat them verbatim. Cratic, don’t you know we see you? That’s your schtick, you along with the rest of the faux conservatives on this board.

Stop it.

1 Like

Yeah this is probably more true than a lot, even i will admit lol.

I can’t figure out how to multi quote here so will just reply as best I can.

The reason I said Corker is an opportunist is because he WAS willing to kiss Trump’s ring when it was beneficial for him. Corker was strongly critical of Trump when Trump was running for the nomination, but that changed after he was elected and Corker wanted a cabinet job.

So now that he is retiring he’s back to saying whatever he wants. I have far more respect for Sanford who also spoke out, although we see the results of that in a very red district.

Also, Sanford was caught up in a scandal of his own making with his extramarital affair and abandoning his job as Governor at the time. Since that happened though, Sanford has seemed genuinely remorseful and I believe has tried to make amends with his now former wife.

Justin Amash alluded to that in his tweet. So Sanford displayed bad behavior but now regrets it, unlike serial adulterer Trump.

As far as the Tennessee Senate race goes, I still think Blackburn will win. Trump will campaign for her and point out he needs more Rs in the Senate, and that a vote for Bredesen will be a vote for Schumer to be the majority leader.

I expect Trump to do this in other red states like WV, ND, IN and MO. There are some states where Trump is still popular and can help an R candidate and those are good examples. Plus he easily won TN.

Bredesen was a popular governor but that’s going back quite a few years, and TN has gotten redder since then.

Anyway just my guess… I’m not very good at making predictions.

1 Like

That’s the reason the left loses. They pretend they know something when they don’t. Unlike liberalism you have to seek out real history, conservative sources and overcome lib brainwashing at public schools to be a conservative. All you have to do to be a leftist is along and never question anything. Like leftist history.

I sure like Justin Amash too. And he’s sure not intimidated by the clown car.

1 Like

Worry about your own fascism.

The cult of not agreeing with Corker and not letting him determine what the Republican Party is.

1 Like

The one silver lining to Sanford’s defeat is the woman now the GOP nominee should have no trouble holding the seat. In other words, he didn’t lose to a nut case.

1 Like

I suspect you could be right about TN. Time will tell, and all of us struggle to make accurate predictions in these unpredictable times. :rofl:

And you are absolutely right about Corker too. But, he did at least seem to have some strong principles when it came to fiscal conservatism. I give him a check in the box for that at least.

As for multi-quote, all you have to do is highlight the part of the post you want to respond to, and then a "Quote icon appears in light grey, which you can click on. It will automatically be inserted into your reply. This works on either a computer or your phone.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

And the Democrats are Marxists and Communists. Only half joking. :smiley:

You’re using Sanford as an example? He needs to up his social game before we can trot him out with a blue ribbon on his chest.

I think so.

1 Like

Unlike the guy sitting in the WH, Sanford does seem to be genuinely sorry for his past bad behavior.

1 Like

Her campaign slogan was “Sanford needs to take a hike.” Alluding to his trip to Argentina when he said he was hiking only to find out he was mosying through the valley of adultery.

Trumpkins remind me of Jim Jones cult followers.