God and the Devil

Good old King James and modern American culture. The ancients would be certain we’re all idiots, unable to understand a thing. Either that, or English can’t explain anything.

The King James isn’t the only Bible where God is a serial killer.

The ancients would be certain we were all demons when they learned they could not understand all the things we so readily understand.

Ahhh back to cherry picking what we do and dont take literal I see. All the baaaadddd things, were just supposed to ignore gotit

So what bible do you want to use in what cultural age?

This whole discussion is nothing more than proof of one thing…that religion is nothing more than the simplest way to control a large population.

Let me start the explanation with this…faith and religion are two different things. Faith simply requires a belief in something unseen and all but unproven. Religion is the dogma that determines how you pay homage to your deity of choice.

I have faith that there is something bigger than all of us out there…I don’t care if you call it God, Buddha, Allah or L. Ron…its out there. I also believe that since there is an argument that whatever it is created us, it knew our faults and created us that way anyway. As such, I contend that it is far more likely that we will be accepted it any afterlife simply for living the lives we were placed here to live.

I reject the idea of religion on its very premise. There is not one religious text in existence that is a direct line from the creator to whats read now. Every one of them is the written accounts of people who are reciting what any deity had to say on matters. That means they can be and probably are flawed and biased. I mean seriously…the word of God of Christianity has been chopped and haggled over for millenia…how accurate can it actually be to what God may or may not have actually spoke or commanded?

On another note…why is it that everything that is good in this world is the work of God, but literally NONE of the bad things that happen are attributed to him? If he IS all powerful and does nothing to prevent disaster, then isn’t it fair to hold him directly accountable for anything he allowed to happen, since he had the power to prevent it?

So if you can expand on that a little bit…

Do you seek your own pleasures in life at all times?

Don’t give anything to charity? Or help out someone in (genuine) need?

I’m an atheist, but when I concede that God exists for the sake of argument, that’s the point I make. Everything is God’s fault, because He set it up that way with “original sin” and then killing everyone with the Flood except letting sin-natured man live which was stupid no matter how you look at it.

Do you mean like if I was Abraham?

YHVH is the Lord. Christ is risen … so your attempted malarkey if to be taken seriously assumes that somehow all of that (Scripture) becomes meaningless.

But had you said “if God said that you might need to die for His name’s sake, do you trust Him?” the observation is that it’s actually said, has been a possibility, may still be given the arc of our post-Christian civilization and yes, I would hope I would trust Him even if trusting Him cost me my life.

And, aside, the pronounciation of His name isn’t necessarily as lost as people imagine. This is because those three letters are also used for vowels it turns out, as referenced by Josephus in describing the crown worn by the high priest. Given standard rules for pronunciation concerning pronouncing consonants together “YH” actually appears in a mess of proper names that transliterated into English include Jehoshaphat, Jehoahaz, etc … “Yeho” would be a closer rendering in Hebrew. It turns out the “Jehovah” is pretty close for saying it in English.

See? The God that made one entire Universe can’t even make his name clear.

Odd.

1 Like

Sorry hun. I didn’t mean you, but the general “you”

Not poofed, spoke. And it was six, not seven. The seventh day he ceased from his work.

Start with, “God is not a serial killer.” With that in mind, don’t read the Bible, study it.

I highly recommend studying commentary by Jewish rabbis.

Remember, humans wanted knowledge of both good and evil. Are you advocating we give up all knowledge of evil?

It’s almost as if the bible is just a collection of stories passed on through generations over 1000s of years by cultures where people couldnt read or knew science, and trying to treat it as anything but a fictional story is confusing

2 Likes

I think you need to spend more time studying atheism. It takes at least 15 years to understand atheism and the science that backs it up. So, if you arent ab atheist I’m just going to assume you havent studied it.

1 Like

Where did you get that from what you quoted?

Again I will ask simply…IF God is responsible for everything, how exactly he not responsible for the evil things that happen in the world.

It stands to reason that one of these statements has to be true:

God is all powerful, and as such, created evil.

God created an entity in man that was capable of extremely evil things, and allowed them to continue doing evil things to one another.

Either way, why isnt he culpable for allowing evil to abound when he allegedly has the power to simply make it vanish in an instant?

Evan Sayet’s analysis of the Left actually revolves around the observation that there is wide spread opposition when it comes to judging evil to be evil.

Is it “evil” when a rock falls and kills a man?

Is it “evil” when a man contracts the flu and dies?

There is no need to live in a demon-haunted world.

[> quote=“Borgia, post:200, topic:12750, full:true”]
Is it “evil” when a rock falls and kills a man?

Is it “evil” when a man contracts the flu and dies?

There is no need to live in a demon-haunted world.
[/quote]

When a rock falls on a man, is it evil? Not unless that rock fell due to someone intentionally making it do so.

When a man dies of the flu, is it evil? Not inherently, though it begs the question why God allows disease to take people from this world when he could supposedly eliminate it with the wave of a hand.