Go Woke, Go Broke/Woke Alerts:

It wasn’t the customers that changed.

1 Like

Here are the box office numbers for 2019

When did Disney go woke?

You are including Frozen Ii in that? And the Lion King? Those are not the ones damaging Disney’s brand.

And if you go into Disney+ you will see over and over again an apology that starts out “This film depicts …. This is wrong now and was wrong then”. Basically an insult to classical Disney and Walt himself. So don’t tell me it was anyone or anything but Disney that changed. It is not the same company now that it was and people are recognizing that.
But you may prefer the new Disney.
Like I said, if they switch to AI they can drastically cut their expenses and likely not reduce their current quality.

Seriously. The post policy GOP. What are they going to do, propose legislation? Do they even know how any longer? I’m sure if it was another corporate/1% tax cut they would cobble something together, but even the last one took like 3 subsequent bills to correct all the goofs on the one significant piece of legislation the GOP has passed into law in the last 11 years.

To that end, I see Trump is out there promising to repeal Obamacare and THIS time he really will have a health care plan that covers everybody and costs nothing…in 2 weeks.

So now we are being selective? They are Disney brands.

7 of the top 10 are Disney in 2019.

I’ve never once been trigger by that. I don’t under why someone would be. Kids definitely don’t care.

That’s like being upset at TV ratings on shows and movies. Should we remove those because it may offend someone?

I am personally not easily offended and certainly not by those apologies being made for other people who would no doubt not apologize. I was citing those to demonstrate that it was Disney, not consumers, who have changed. If you are apologizing for what your company has done in the past, then you have dramatically changed and so has the meaning of your brand.
Disney can remove or keep any shows it wants. People can also notice what they have done and continue to be customers or not.

1 Like

I am assuming those apologies are for films were even in 1930, they knew it was wrong.

I don’t see a problem with that. It’s Disney property… they should be able to apologize for it. Even if it is 80 years later.

Again it doesn’t bother me either way…

“Anti-woke’ bank shuts down after less than 3 months”

I barely got to even hear of GloriFi before it went under and they’re right down the road.

In their defense, it was just another right wing grift that preys on the visceral biases of Republicans to separate them from their cash. I’ll never get mad at any company doing that.

4 Likes

I actually don’t think this board has an ignore function; does it ?

Yeah, it does.

Found it; thanks.

I think earlier version of board software may not have had this feature.

1 Like

…and I’m done. My dollars will be spent elsewhere other than Disney.

2 Likes

Easier said than done. You ever watch any ESPN channels? Anything on ABC? Lucas films? Marvel? 21st Century Fox? Hulu? FX?

Well can’t we agree that there are some problems with certain Disney films? And Disney owns them so I have no problem with them having a disclaimer. Although I’ve never actually seen it before because I don’t have Disney+. I mean there are scenes from Fantasia that are so overtly racist they will not show them anymore. And even the stuff they left in in Fantasia, like the black centaurs are servants and they’re part human part zebra? I mean come on. And I love Fantasia, it’s my favorite Disney film, but even I have to kind of roll my eyes at parts. And that’s just one example. So if Disney wants to make a statement about their own property I think they should. What I don’t get is someone getting upset over Disney pointing out problematic issues, and not getting upset about the problematic issues.

Which had nothing to do with the point. The statement was made that the viewers had changed, not Disney. If a company puts up disclaimers about their prior product, then that company has changed.

And that doesn’t mean the disclaimer ( the change) is bad.

True. Are the dancing Indians in Peter Pan offensive? Maybe. Maybe not. I wouldn’t be surprised if different native Americans had different opinions…or just don’t care.

Also, if you’re saying viewers haven’t changed since the 1940s and 1950s, that’s a weird take. I think it’s pretty clear that Disney has changed with the viewers. As hopefully all of society has since the 1940s and 1950s. There’s not going to be another Song of the South. Thank god.

Yeah. Thank goodness there will be no mote movies where an elderly black man teaches white kids time honored truths through creative folk stories. Can’t have any of that, right?:roll_eyes:

Disney has changed. Period. They used to be all about Family entertainment. Now they are all about pushing an political agenda.

2 Likes