Financing Abortion Travel

Why would they think that? Pretty sure our member packet discusses who can and can not see your health care information.

You really want to argue about whether some women would wish to keep it as private possible? I don’t see the point really.

I never suggested any such thing.

I just pointed out that I don’t think an employer has access to your health care records.

I completely respect and understand that. Principles dont pay bills and put food on the table.

Thanks for the honest response.

1 Like

For fully insured plans they do not have access.

For self insured only a select few at the employer have access to limited information. Whatever a health insurance plan shares has to be minimum necessary. Plus abortion is classified as a sensitive service so the information is even more protected.

Both the employer and health insurance plans take HIPAA seriously.

Anyone who thinks its a free for all with anyone in senior management able to look at PHI especially sensitive PHI they are mistaken.

Courts will decide that if they give free travel to those who want to kill their unborn kid, they have give it to those who want it to live also.

2 Likes

THAT would be the ideal, along with covering different schools of medicine, like Traditional Chinese, Ayurvedic holistic and homeopathic. At least if a patient doesn’t benefit from any of those approaches, they’re probably not hurting anyone, either.

In addition, coverage for procedures like LASIK, phakic intraocular lens implant and experimental treatments would be covered in the ideal. However, the ideal would up the cost for everyone, and there’s always Health Savings Accounts and financing for non covered services.

I wonder if including abortion transit will substantially increase the cost of health insurance.

Why would one need to travel if they want to keep their fetus?

I interpret that as traveling for treatment outside the state or region where they live for medical treatment.

I won’t consent to treatment in Massachusetts hospitals and, if the only route for treatment involved an inpatient stay, I’d go elsewhere.

Everyone talks about how wonderful medical care is here, but I’ve not only seen quite the opposite, they’re also rude. Even if elsewhere was an opening in a hospital in the middle of nowhere, I’d take it

Hmmm, do you think companies that have that provision will have to pay for me to get a certain procedure that only a dr out of state provides for something other than an abortion? Interesting99% of abortions have nothing to do with women’s health. Abortion actually kills future women.

2 Likes

Sure. PPO Insurance has “Out of network” premiums.

Also it is possible that companies are not going to use insurance to pay for travel… they will probably use their stand T&E budget

Such as? Can you give an example of a medical service that would be available in other states and not your own?

Such as a provider that may do a particular robotic surgery for instance. And I’m not talking about covering the surgery, I’m talking about my travel expenses, hotel, etc…and a surgery that is elective as well.

Doesn’t have to be out of state.

Someone who lives in central Kansas needing NICU care for a preemie has to travel to Topeka. Depending on the distance, temporary housing might be warranted.

Just an example.

1 Like

Louisiana only has 2 certified burn units. Im sure their are smaller states with 0.

Gotcha.any of the plans I work with already cover travel and lodgings for NICU services, cancer, transplants etc. so the answer is yes.

Obviously travel for the patient would be covered. Would depend on the plan if travel and lodgings are covered.

[quote=“Nemesis, post:76, topic:242521”]

Are those things elective?

Obviously not but a self insured plan can pretty much offer whatever benefits it wants above the minimum.

The argument that is trying to be made that if Travel and Lodging is made for an elective abortion then it has to be available for all benefits just is not true.

Even if a state law insisted on it self insured ERISA plans are in the main exempt from state law and just have to comply with federal law.

Is the the employer or insurance company? Is it discriminatory to pay for travel and lodging for one employee for an elective surgery but not another?