Federal court strikes down Ohio congressional maps

Let’s see, two threads with 10 replies total. It appears a lot of people didn’t respond.

Love Saf, one of the best posters here, but his legal stuff is hard to understand and many times they are mid case.

Now, if you find the ruling on Maryland I’ll go post right now that the politicians are cheaters.

You willing to do the same in this thread?

Well, it took an entire 15 seconds of painstaking effort to dig this out, but the Dems got 51.2% of the vote to the Reps 46.4%. 10-8 is a pretty reasonable result.

Decisions in Rucho v. Common Cause, 18-422, and Lamone v. Benisek, 18-726, are expected by late June.

When [Martin O’Malley]was governor of Maryland, he worked hard to draw congressional districts that would favor Democrats and squeeze out Republicans. Now, he wants the Supreme Court to scrap his map and crack down on partisan gerrymandering.

The justices this week heard a [lawsuit filed by Maryland Republicans] that alleges they were disenfranchised when Democrats, under O’Malley, re-drew congressional districts after the 2010 election in a way that made it virtually impossible for a long-serving House Republican to win re-election.

Liberals are for fair elections. Liberals are for bi/non-partisan committees to draw congressional districts,at both state and federal level.

Democrats and Republicans alike have been guilty of cheating/gerrymandering in the past.

That, is the narrative.

Classical liberals.

Has there been a ruling on Maryland?

There was a ruling on Ohio which is why there is a thread about Ohio.

I get your desire to deflect and try to play partisan games with it, and no doubt when there is a ruling about Maryland there will be a thread about it.

This partisan kvetching about Maryland doesn’t make sense until there’s actually something to discuss.

Liberals.

There are varieties of liberalism, but the idea of wanting fair elections, is a key to all forms of liberalism.

Classical liberalism, is closer to neo-liberalism which preaches free markets, and more economic “freedom”.

1 Like

So what shall we call the current crop?

Is he joining the lawsuit filed by republicans? If not, his words mean jack ■■■■

And liberals don’t give a ■■■■ when it’s their side doing it. CITM has made multiple threads about the republican gerrymandering cases, but not one about Maryland. No liberal has decried the gerrymandering by their own. Not one.

You’re saying that the ex-governor, out of office nearly 5 years and now a visiting professor, needs to join an ongoing lawsuit for his words to mean something? I hope you hold that bar so high for everyone.

1 Like

Now we’ve stopped talking equal protection for all voters and started talking judicial interference in the rights of states.

In this day and age?

Liberals. Or Progressives.

Of course when it’s done you whine about it…
And naturally you deflect to Democrats…

2 Likes

I cannot speak for CITM, but I have chastised both sides for doing it.
Looks like O’Malley is also no longer endorses redrawing districts where it puts one party over another.

There is a national push, to make all states use a non elected committee to draw district lines.

Then there is this as well, that calls for other ways to reclaim our democratic republic…but usually, it is just called liberal BS bu Republicans and Conservatives…

1 Like

Some of what you claim doesn’t apply then.

Jennifer Lawrence the bow and arrow girl?

I am definitely for that. I don’t believe our founders wanted a party to win an election and be able to cheat for 10 or 20 years. Just to have the opposite party win an election and cheat for another 10 or 20 years. It’s freaking maddening.

2 Likes