Extremism in the US Military

So are the expected purges to be based solely on explicit white racism? What about racism from other races, or is the belief that that exists in itself racism? What about support for Trump’s more stringent immigration policies in that they enforce the law…will that be extremism?
We really have no idea do we? Just that if the Biden administration disagrees with your views, your first amendment rights go out the window.

When did you serve and observe this?

likely less so than in public at large.

If you were in charge, how would you define extremism? Is there a chance that politics could interfere and people who are not actually “extremists” being labeled as such? Should the government be more transparent as to what they consider to be an extremists? Right now, they don’t seem to want t tell us. I find that to be problematic.

Do you have to be in a circle, to observe it? I have never served but my father and two of my three brothers have. I live near military bases. I do business with career military personnel and I do fund raisers for those that were injured in battle. It’s the world I live in and hence, I’m also observant. :sunglasses:

Why?

Great question.

We’ve had Islamist extremists in the military. Most noteworthy was Nidal Hasan actually shooting up a base. Yet never a 60-day stand down because of that.

They don’t even try to hide their duplicity any more.

4 Likes

So how should the government define an extremist? What would be the trigger? Maybe they were caught watching Tucker or Hannity? We need to know.

2 Likes

the general public doesn’t have to rely on the guy next to them to stay alive

Fair point. Most of the military doesn’t either. That is a select club.

I don’t think “extremists” and “criminal” are the same thing. I believe it’s possible to be an extremist without being a criminal. You are right, the definition is somewhat murky.

1 Like

Some of us do. There are some dangerous jobs out here. I’ve worked on bridges where that is sometimes the case.

1 Like

because the cars driving under it are shooting at you?

point is there is no choice about who the guy is next to you in the military and the job is not sometimes occasionally dangerous done with every safety precaution possible to reduce the danger to nill.

I served around the same time as you. There was NEVER any time a person didn’t help out on a job based on race. There was NEVER a time when someone was not welcome to any of the gatherings or parties based on race. There was NEVER anyone made any comments about a superior based on race. And there were people from all over the country - north, south, east, west, middle. I suppose it’s largely based on how one defines racism?

Or maybe it depends on the company you keep.

Your circle didn’t participate in such racism.

Makes me wonder about the circle of friends for those who say they saw it.

2 Likes

Here’s a analysis from a link I found regarding the AF:

"The Air Force could not conclude in this report whether, or to what extent, bias or racial prejudice played a role in creating the uncovered disparities. (emphasis mine)

But thousands of Black airmen and civilians overwhelmingly spoke up in survey responses and roundtables about their experiences of “issues ranging from bias to outright racial discrimination,” the report said. And such isolated racist acts could contribute to the racial disparities investigators identified, the report said.

The racial disparity issue is most acute among pilots in the Air Force. Out of 15,000 pilots in the Air Force, only 305, or 2 percent, are Black, the report said."

I’m not going to seek to address everything here but I can absolutely explain the disparity in pilots, since I worked with pilots directly in my job. First thing, it’s very difficult for anyone to get accepted into UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training). Second, you have to be pursuing a college degree, with high grades. Third, they typically favor candidates who major in science. As someone who has worked in education for the past 20 years and has known many other educators as well the fact is that black American’s have significantly lagged in those areas.

Nil? Half a dozen men have died on jobsites that I worked on, three that I knew and one that was a mentor to me and drilled me often on safety. Not saying it’s the same by a long shot, only that more people know what it is to have your life depend on the guy next to you than you think.

I’m talking about the environment in which I worked in. It was multicultural; whites, blacks, Hispanics. This includes those in higher positions like Tech Sargents, Master Sargents, etc. Heck the Chief Master Sargent of my unit was a black man. There was NEVER a time during my years of working on the flight line that I witnessed racism. Also, on the weekends it was customary to have outdoor community type gatherings and parties in which everyone and anyone could participate. All different races gathering together cooking, eating, drinking, having fun.

Sergeant

2 Likes