Extremism in the US Military

I was born and raised in a country governed by an authoritarian government under the constant threat of communist artillery barrage and air raids. I valued the promise of the founding principle of the United States and dedicated my life to defending those principles. I joined the military and served for 24 years to protect those principles. I’ve met and served with people with diverse beliefs from diverse backgrounds and even though we may have had differing personal beliefs, we all believed in one thing, our oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I was taught, as a military member, I was held to a higher standard, higher than even the President of the United States. The new SecDef stated an insignificant number military members, active duty and retirees, participated in the January 6, 2021 disorder. Yet, he reinforces the idea that extremism is a problem in the US military with a 60-day standdown. In the 24 years of military service, I rarely witnessed anything that could be considered rascist and nothing I would consider black or white racial extremism. He does the US military, the last true bastion of patriotism, a great disservice by insinuating a politically convenient crisis exists. Flag officers are truly nothing more than politicians in uniform and this is apparent from his seamless transistion into political office.

2 Likes

A standing army is a problem. It is extremist by design.

2 Likes

In 24 years of active duty you rarely witnessed anything that could be considered racist? Amazing.

2 Likes

I completely concur with that as well during my time in the military. We worked together, helped each other out, partied and drank together. What I saw was people from all different parts of the country and all different races getting along just fine.

4 Likes

Why is that amazing? In the military, we depend on one another to accomplish our mission, “To Protect and Defend the Constitution.” Racism has no place in upholding such an oath.

Or maybe I’m less cognizant of subliminal racism because I was raised in an environment where hyphenated America did not exist. The first time I was exposed to hyphenated American was when my father was questioned what he was by the military police. In response, my father asked the troop what he was and the troop’s response…“I am an American.” Interestingly, he did not hyphenate the statement and this was in the late 1970s.

1 Like

How is a standing army extremist? I guess you are an anarchist because a litmus test for a sovereign country was its ability to defend its borders. Without a standing military, you would not have a sovereign nation because your security would depend upon the whims of a more powerful nations. John Stuart Mills must have been thinking of people with your opinion when he wrote:

“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself.”

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Of course they’re extremists. Think about what it takes to give up the prime years of your life to do that stuff - shoot people in the face, hurl your body out of aircraft. And on command?

It’s no place for fence sitters. Fanatics win gunfights.

Yes, I’m an anarchist.

2 Likes

Trained to kill. Seals. Rangers. Etc. I want them on my side.

Allan

1 Like

Yeah, the chelsea manning tapes made this clear.

Thank you for your service and what you just said, is what I’ve observed for decades.

HI, this is the CIA, you might recognize me from the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the Limpy Biscuit, no racisms here.

Thanks, thankfully I can say I haven’t shot anyone but I did experience the other side of a weapon on multiple occasions. I also had the pleasure of experiencing opening shock, which, for a person who is acrophobic, is pretty cool. I still dislike looking over the edge of just about anything, thought, jumping would get me over it, but I found out facing your fears doesn’t necessarily remove your fears, just helps you deal with them.

Anarchy is great for some, especially if you have the means to protect what you value. Cheers.

I wouldn’t say racist…but during my time in… troops definitely hung out with there own.

You are welcome, though, truthfully, it was an honor and privilege to serve with great people doing something meaningful.

Having worked in the private sector and taken part in an union, I’m not sure I could have lasted in this America. The American idea my father espoused and mother reinforced is far different than the America I experienced, which sadly is far better than the America my kids are destined to inherit. It seems hardwork, dedication, honor and integrity have no place in the private sector.

1 Like

Racism is one big joke in the Army.

The Army is also one big gay joke.

1 Like

Sorry for doubting you.

That is fairly normal in any society as described by the idiom, birds of a feather flock together. You can look throughout the history of any people and find examples of seeking a community of like minded individuals. As you stated, its hardly an example of racism, I feel it has more to do with an individual’s comfort. I am more comfortable with the more subdued crowd regardless of their ancestral origin than the boisterous group. However, I’ve learned to nominally function in among more raucous extroverts.

And you were in the Army for 24 years?

No, USAF but grew up near an Army Garrison overseas with a bunch of army brats. My father and most of my uncles were in the army due to the draft and served honorably, as was their duty. My best friend went to USMA and others enlisted. I’ve trained with army personnel in jump school and worked with the army, as well as other services and nations, throughout my years in the USAF. My perspective may be different, but talking to my friends from all services, the experience is more alike than not; although, I think the comradery is far stronger in the USAr and USMC than the other services. My uncle felt he let his troops down when he could not deploy with his unit back to Afghanistan.

Your military was different than mine around the same time.