Ex-Trump adviser tells black Fox News guest he's out of his 'cotton-picking

I personally love learning about the origins of phrases in the English language. I hope somebody actually clicks the link and learns something. It’s not about being offensive or not, it’s about learning where our words come from.

I am extremely polite. I tip my hat to every lady I pass and take it off to address them (that’s the way it’s done).

What I will not do is consider your feelings before I speak.

Exactly. I’d heard it my whole life growing up and never realized there was a racial aspect to it until I saw some sort of internet outrage over it. I’ve probably used it myself at some point.

And still, most of it is still guess work. Its like a lot of words we can no longer use for fear of offending some thin skinned dunce.

:rofl: How’d that work out for you?

Meh, i’ll survive. I used to say something was gay (meaning bad) all the time. I changed. If someone asks me not to say a certain thing, i’ll switch it up. Easy peasy lemon squeesy.

Best not to bring up picking cotton around black folks. Lots of bad history there.

Worked pretty good. We had a nice conversation.

The blacks I worked with used the phrase.:grinning: They would think all this is silly.

You’re not black.

And? Black and white alike used the phrase,where I worked, and got big laughs out of it. One fellow was even nicknamed cotton pick.

Of course none of us were searching for something to be offended about.

Ok, if you say so.

Would you agree the term “you’re out of your cotton-picking mind” is derogatory?

This is where this idiot got it from, he said it on purpose.

You don’t get to choose whether or not someone takes offense or not

Your choice is how to react to that offense.

Now if one is not heavily invested in using the phrase “cotton picking” then it is easy enough to apologize for the unintended offense and move on with your life with the knowledge that some may find offense at that.

If you do however want to defend your right to say “cotton picking” all day every day, go right ahead. No one is going to stop you.

Just don’t act surprised or take offense if someone thinks you might be an ■■■■■■■■

BTW… this applies to a whole slew of things from outright racist words to flags that people fly.

Yep.

“… oh I’ll admit this song is rotten but it sure beats a pickin’cotton!” – Homer and Jethro

Interesting bit of history, thank you for providing the link.

Not at all. In my experience it has always been used in a good natured joking manner.

Normally I’d be with you, but racial tension has been peaking lately with the dog whistler in chief. Best to be mindful of what you say.

My family had our annual family summer picnic / get together. Most of us are white but four are black via adoption. The primary non side dish was fried chicken. Were we racist by serving fried chicken or were we just serving what is perhaps the most common picnic food that you can buy at the store and not have to prepare yourself?

This is exactly why so many of us don’t take racism claims seriously anymore because you can absolutely imagine someone getting offended because we dared serve fried chicken at a family gathering where 4 out of the 50 there were black.

Oh crap, it was potluck and I just recalled one person did bring a watermelon as well.

1 Like