Even too liberal for Whoopie

But yeah. The 1st Ave bike lane knocked off parking from one side of the street to put a protected bike lane in. No traffic lanes were eliminated

1 Like

Almost 40 years ago. Before I was born, in fact.

Do you have any data to suggest that black people commit an out-of-proportion number of murders of Jews?

That’s from 1967.

Also hasn’t been relevant in 40 years.

That paper seeks to quantify the correlation between hatred of whites and hatred of Jews. It does not present any evidence that black people hate Jews any more than white people do.

And your last link is a Op-Ed by a gentile British conservative.

Avenues are 100ft - as are the bigger streets (14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd, etc…).

They definitely feel less wide than they actually are.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s been going on a while.

Sure. You can find it.

Yes I know. Did you see who wrote it? He’s good.

So it’s over?

Jews because they are white.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forward.com/opinion/438053/how-to-talk-about-black-anti-semitism/%3Fgamp

You might need to straighten out Woopie on that.

Well…sometimes they are. I have noticed in my city that they are wider when they are part of the original plan, rather than being shoe horned in later.

If I remember correctly… I did agree with some of her points about bike lanes but not all.

Placing bike lanes in major arteries is good… but there are some places where the bike lanes are not respected by motorists and pedestrians where I think it is best to remove them. 8th avenue in Manhattan being one of those.

I am talking about NYC. Most of the bike lanes are three feet wide.

Protected bike lanes have more space, but they are usually on one way streets.

I don’t care if they are three feet wide. You subtract three feet from twelve and you have effectively lost a vehicle lane. And if you spread it out over three lanes, making them 11-feet wide, you reduce the capacity because traffic slows down. No matter how you cut it, if you squeeze a bike lane into a confined roadway, you reduce the volume that street can carry, which during high volume hours, can easily lead to grid lock.

Of course that’s what you bicycle types want, isn’t it.

Here’s a bike lane on 9th Street in Brooklyn:

Looks to be at least six feet (counting the buffer zone) to me.

Sure, there are going to be some places where it can be fit in (assuming 3 traffic lanes is sufficient both now and for the next 20 years or so.) But there are many more places where you will have to reduce vehicle capacity to accommodate them.

Yep … Something has to be sacrificed.

For the record, I don’t think Caryn Johnson said anything to apologize for and she shouldn’t have been sent home for 2 weeks.

And I can’t stand her.

Dude. That is my hood.

9th street in Brooklyn is nothing like any street in Manhattan.

It was already built as a very wide street because it led up to Prospect Park and they were trying to sell real estate

Man. You should see 3rd street.

2 Likes

Well? Show us.

:rofl:

Coincidentally, I was in that post office earlier today, to get a new passport.

1 Like

That type of bike lane is awesome, but you are correct: they can’t be shoe-horned into existing streets in older cities.

Next to one of the best beer bars in NYC. The Owl Farm.

1 Like

Over where I am in Brooklyn they just reordered the streets to control truck traffic.

One of the major thoroughfares they made into a one way with a protected bike lane.

That is fine. But to further control truck traffic they out these weird small roundabouts on 6th Ave so trucks cannot go up then. I swear we are a test case.

We will see if they work…because they eliminated 100 parking spots… not for bike lanes but because of truck traffic.

We’ve spoken about Owl Farm before. I’m a big fan too.

They’ve got an interesting collections of fernets, as well.

1 Like