Electric Cars are coming- no need to drill in Alaska

The largest utility battery storage system in the world (until recently) has been functioning in Fairbanks, Alaska, since 2003. It is rated at 46 MVA, but in practice, that equates to 40 MW for 7 minutes or 26 MW for 15 minutes. Battery storage integrated with utilities is only practical for relieving brief outages.

The most expensive peaker plants will run only a few hours a year at enormous cost. Even if it’s only practical for a short time, utility battery storage is a better investment than gas turbines for those plants.

Battery storage systems may be more economical than turbines for occasional short-term surges in demand and brief line outages, but they do not eliminate the need for firm power back-up. Each Utility has to evaluate the economics based on the usage and performance history of the community they serve. One size does not fit all.

1 Like

Electricity is to expensive. Hello fossil fuels. :rofl:

1 Like

Hurry, hurry.

Hurry up and be afraid.
We need more government and we need it fast fast fast.

““Although this melting would take hundreds of years,” the paper’s author said.

1 Like

So much for electric cars I guess.
:headstone: Rest in Peace

The plant would produce up to 175 megawatts of electricity. Its air permit was challenged in a 2021 lawsuit from the Montana Environmental Information Center and Sierra Club.

“Utility company drops service for home of judge…”?

Yeah, I know, never happen.

1 Like

So no quick fix, but the enviro-whacko green weenies want to push our economy over a cliff to satisfy their feelings of self interest?

I wonder why they want everyone poor? :thinking:

Seems electric cars are your enviro weenie version of toothpaste. You squeeze one end, and another pops out.

I’m now onboard with Hydrogen. Reason? You’re going to need it to make steel anyhow, so why not just figure out how to produce enough not only to make steel, but power cars as well?

2 Likes

giphy

2 Likes

Lots more hydrogen in this world than any type of metal. No African children required to harvest it, no Chinese slaves required to manufacture it.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Electric cars in place of ICE to curb pollution is the equivalent to plastic bags being the solution to brown paper bags killing our trees.

5 Likes

Great analogy!

Needs one more sign: “If you cannot read these signs please do not park here.”

Reminds me of the “Yellowstone eruption is imminent” thread. :wink:

2 Likes

I hear it’ll be any minute now!

Well, now it’s 30 years:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/study-warns-critical-ocean-current-is-nearing-collapse-that-would-be-a-global-disaster/ar-AA19JZvq

1 Like