Electric Cars are coming- no need to drill in Alaska

Wrong. The hydrogen is the fuel. The lithium just a storage medium. And it takes very special circumstances to set off that fuel, circumstances very difficult requiring rare technical skill and mucho dinero to achieve. Moreover, if you look around you will find that in nuclear reactors it can be useful as a moderator … which means it will absorb radiation, not blow up and produce more of it.

And anyone with resources to do that could easily build their own accelerator to produce the lithium 6 … and the FDA requiring them to have a somewhat expensive license of the accelerator would stop them about as much as hassling legal gun owners stops criminals from having and using guns.

So unless someone is gonna drop a nuke dead center on a hydrogen powered car how do you figure they would blow up? Under normal circumstances the material will not even properly burn, and the rate at which diving tank sized tanks (an affordable solution) will produce hydrogen when heated is such that most cars would have to use several of them in parallel to get enough fuel.

Let’s get this back on track a little bit.

I actually find this letter to the editor to be funny. Hands off my battery!

He’s right. He paid for that just like a tank of gas.

I still find it to be hilarious. These people are acting just Texas. :rofl:

Rut Roh…seems electic cars are easier to completely total, if you hit the battery compartment.

We are winning.
Winning, winning, winning, winning.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00799-3

2 Likes

To be fair, it is more efficient to use fuel cells and electric motors for hydrogen usage over burning it directly in ICEs.

Personally I say do both.

That’s true but you need extremely high temperatures for fusion of the secondary to occur.

Which is why they use a fission primary to provide the temperature conditions suitable for fusion.

Without that primary, you’re not getting a thermonuclear explosion.

Most of the science magazines went woke long before then. It’s a crime what they did to Scientific American.

2 Likes

I did not know that. Thank you

I know from some Internet research I did years ago, that compared to other fuels, hydrogen takes up a HUGE volume, so, bigger fuel tanks in vehicles, twice as many truck deliveries. A LOT of very large bulk storage tanks.

Not insurmountable, just, what they gotta work on to make it happen.

I’ve done a bit of reading since that post, but thank you.

The South Korea-headquartered company said this morning that it will invest KRW7.2 trillion (US$5.5 billion) into the production plant in Queen Creek, Arizona.

While the plant had been planned even before the IRA was passed, when the legislation became law it prompted an increase in the planned annual output by 50% from 2GWh.

LG ES too said that the Inflation Reduction Act was a key factor in its own Arizona plant’s business case, as well as allowing the company to bring production much closer to the expected demand for batteries for mobility and stationary applications and allow it to build closer relationships with end-customers. The ESS portion of the plant represents KRW3 trillion of its planned investment there.

Phew, that’s a lot of zeros of capital investment thanks to the IRA.

Still will not nearly be enough.

Hope you enjoy blackouts and walking.

1 Like

Doing my part to save the globe…

Yesterday I unplugged a whole row of electric cars that were not being used.

5 Likes

We should honk and wave at them (walking) as we pass in our gasoline powered cars. :wink:

What if the owner comes out due to an alert on their phone? A lot of these EVs are covered in cameras too.

Everything is too hard until it’s not. All it takes is people willing to work, rather than whine.

Boy, I hope your humor detector is still under warranty. It’s on the fritz.

2 Likes

Wood and coal gasification powered generator on a trailer.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s in Norway, but it highlights an important problem your do not have the tech to address.

We can’t make enough power now. What do you think it’s going to be like with:

290 million automobiles
4 million semi tractor trailers
26,000 locomotives
204,000 commercial airplanes
65,000 public transit buses

And god knows what else all needing to be charged?

That is just the transportation side of the house. There is so much more that needs to happen to make this pipe dream come true.

My prediction: the electric need is going to shoot up 50 to 150 times what we currently product, and that is conservative IMHO. There isn’t enough windmills, solar cells, and d cells to solve that problem.