Dow Plunge -800 2018 Instability

I dabble in these things and not a single credible person has indicated market volatility has anything to do with Democrats at all. It is an illogical argument as the Democrats only have negligible power over 1/3rd of potential legislation that could impact the economy.

Whomever you’re reading that suggests the market is reacting to the Democrats control of the House beginning in a month from now is either playing up your partisan fears for profit, or is not well informed on how government impacts the market.

I’d suggest finding other sources of information personally. Generally speaking people who have proven records of success predicting market shifts and the impacts of national politics.

2 Likes

The flat 2018 Dow is because voters thought the democrats might retake the House and ruin the economy. Some posters here have said that so it must be true.

It’s super duper duper dumb. I mean the market has been up and down but mostly flat all year. Is that because voters back in the Spring thought Dems would retake the House? That is some super weird pretzel logic.

1 Like

I agree. Hyper partisanship tends to preclude logic though. While it may feel nice to blame some opposing force, and it may be comforting even, it is far from logical. Ironically, sometimes logic and irrational partisan fear can intersect. This is not one of those times.

I do wish more Americans would work on becoming better informed. And stepping outside of their fear and comfort. We are all Americans. That should be foundational. But many partisans believe their greatest enemy is their neighbor, solely because they have a difference of opinion on policy. That is like a disease that will rot a person from the inside.

The idea the dems are to blame is ■■■■■■■ stupid. Let’s just cut to the chase and declare what exactly that talking point is.

Stupid

Jack Ablin is a modern day soothe-sayer. Never a single inaccurate prediction. The market’s perma-bull who convinced tons of people to dump on an upswing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course. But Ablin is one to be weary of. Not that I suspect many understand these things, while they profess surety of their beliefs.

News flash…everything effects the market…everything.

Hell we had forum members claim Trump tweets have effected the market.

The thing so-called conservatives on this board or in general these days) seem to NOT understand anymore, is that when the economy is good, you RAISE taxes to pay down debt! You don’t lower them and increase the deficit!!!

Is it any wonder the engineer of this idiocy has declared bankruptcy SIX TIMES!!!

Here again we have the rightwing media screwing of America. Talkradio along with Fox news hosts persecute ANY GOP’er who dares advocate raising taxes. Interestingly enough, Bush 41 likely lost to Clinton because he did the responsible thing and raised taxes to pay the country’s debts!

I know, I know. Trump has a long history of NOT paying his bills AND filing bankruptcy. Why again did cons elect him??? Oh yeah. The black guy.

1 Like

True. But not without cause. People incorrectly assume a natural ebb and flow. That is incorrect. Exterior forces impact trends. Some more than others. Some take longer to appear in the market than others.

There is no question that the impact of President Trump’s foreign policy and trade policy is having a marked negative and volatile impact on the market.

Published: Feb 18, 2015 3:11 p.m. ET
Accept we have a problem…this article is almost 4 years old.

Traders are notoriously bipartisan. We just want to be left alone with stability coming from government.

Ummmm…

10chars

2 Likes

This is true. But opinions without a basis in fact do not impact the market. Opinions uninformed and based on emotion are of little impact to the market. This is simple reality.

OH I see what you were responding too. My mistake.

Yeah he did missed the boat didn’t he.

1 Like

From the same source.

David Gilmour is one hell of a guitar player. Probably number 1 in my book.

1 Like

Expound on this please. What do you mean by “China has been undermining the US economy.” Do you mean impact on the market? Macro-economic impact? The price of soy futures? Consumer confidence levels? Corporate investments? Wage growth? Currency manipulation and the impact versus the dollar and what that means for corporate realignment and future investment?

This is a very vague and broad statement, but could be discussed from many economic angles.

What did Trump do to invert the yield?

You miss the forest because of the trees. The point is he was telling people to dump in 2915, right in the middle of an upswing that is still on a massive climb to this day. And he is a self-described perma-bull. And he advised people to lose untold amounts because of one of many shady predictions.

He is less than reliable. I encourage you to do some research on him before appealing to his authority.

1 Like

I apologize. 2015. I still am unsure how to edit.